1999 Genesis need help

I finally went out and got a 1999 Genesis. Got a good deal, or so I thought. The ski has 10 original hourd on it. 6 hours on an SBT engine. Long story short, the ski ingested water sat for awhile old owner put new engine in it, did not use it sold it to me. I did a compression check and all 3 were at 120. I test drove it and it seemed to bog alittle. I figured it was last years gas, maybe needed plugs. Was told that the carb were done at the same time as the motor. This mornin I put new plugs and fresh fuel in and headed out. We only get to 6680RPM. I saw in the owners manual that the rev limiter kicks in at 7200. Had my nephew with me so thought thats where the other 520 rpms went. Ski topped at 53mph with 2 of us. Im 220 he is about 150. As we headed bClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 004.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	46.4 KB 
ID:	205201ack the RPMs would not go over 4500. We were kinda in the middle of nowhere. I shut the ski off and tried to row it in. The current was against us andClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 001.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	47.6 KB 
ID:	205200 my nephew started to freak. I tried to limp it back and made it about 200 yards from the ramp when it stalled. I did not like the way it was crankingClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 005.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	42.9 KB 
ID:	205199 so I did not try to restart. When I got home did a compression check and foud the front cylinder dead. I am including pictures. The piston says 1.0 oClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 003.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	31.0 KB 
ID:	205198n it so I am assuming that is 1 mm over. The jug is toast. The guy told me the motor was still under warranty but I casnt get ahold of him. Will call Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 002.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	58.4 KB 
ID:	205197SBT in the morning. I am assuming this is a clogged carb issue. Would I be right? Does anybody have a jug for sale in case this is not under warranty?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 006.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	45.4 KB 
ID:	205196

I currently have a Genesis sitting in my garage and my story is almost exactly the same as yours. Bought it used...compression was good. After my second time out, I found I lean-seized the MAG piston. The front only had already been bored .5 over so it obviously wasn't the first time it had happened.

From advise in my thread, it seems these are common to have air leaks on the MAG - most likely from a failed front crank seal.

Thanks for the reply. This motor is only supposed to have like 6 hours on it. Man that would suck if it needs a crank seal.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Number one rule with ANY old PWC - rebuild the carburetors first, before you go riding at all.

Just sitting still for months is enough to clog up the carburetors internally, especially if the fuel was not stabilized. Running with old gasoline in the fuel tank is another no-no.

6700RPM is about right for maximum sustained RPM with these engines. They do NOT run at the rev limiter. RPM limiter is for when the hull comes out of the water, and the impeller spins freely for a moment.

Now is the time to go through the entire fuel system from tank to carbs. Clean everything. If it still has the original gray Tempo fuel hoses, replace them all.

The piston top you showed us is black, which means the engine was running lean in that cylinder. I expect the others are similar.

Click below for more tips

Thanks for the reply. The compression in the others was still at 120. I was thinking of pulling the covers and the domes off to see what those pistons look like. What MPH sdoes this ski usually top out at? Oh and another problem, the MFD stays on all the time and the bilge pump does not work, could they be related?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by dyemondav View Post
    Thanks for the reply. The compression in the others was still at 120.

I was thinking of pulling the covers and the domes off to see what those pistons look like.

What MPH does this ski usually top out at?

Oh and another problem, the MFD stays on all the time and the bilge pump does not work, could they be related?
    MFI display is supposed to always show the clock.

Bilge pump could be needing a new 3 Amp fuse, inside the electrical box.

I will have to look, but I think mine shows the compass and the clock. I just thought that would drain the battery down over time. I thought it would shut off all together.

I also just noticed that the Gensis had the wrong plugs in it. The plugs that were in it were NGK BR7ES. That what I bought to replace them. I now see that it calls for BR9ES. Did this compund my problem?

Thread Information