Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

+1

Help with gasket questions.

I am in the process of rebuilding my 96 SL780. I have some gasket question. do i need to apply some sort of sealant before put them on. also some expensive gasket still look good can i reuse that?

+1
    which gaskets are you wondering about? cases should have 1210 on them.. carb gaskets get none. heads gaskets could get copper spray. just depends which ones.. some use grease to seal the carb gaskets.. I dont use anything on the exhaust manifold gaskets and I use copper spray on the head and water rail gaskets..

+1
    all the gaskets. I am rebuilting the whole engine. I will take some pictures of the gasket i need help and you can tell me what need sealant. I am still waiting for parts, so not putting them back yet.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    No sealant needed on ANY gaskets.

It's up to you if you want to use some, but not necessary.

And re-using gaskets isn't a good idea, but I have done it with head gaskets and the 3M copper spray.

Engine cases are sealed with Threebond 1211 silicone sealant.

+1
    i see i missed the name of that by 1 number.lol 1210 instead of 1211!.. the reason i use copper spray on my water rail is because I have a warped one,,..it's off a little with just 1 water gasket on each one. i have to use 2 and spray to seal it well enough so it doesn't leak..

its bad enough the rail is a couple thous' off.....when it does leak. it sprays water right at the carbs and you instantly injest water if you have f/as on them. the original blue cover stops that from happening but lucky you then,, the boat fills up with water and you dont know its happening until it too late.. the 95slt has no bilge pump in it so your a goner.lol

that water siphon routine isn't gonna save ya either.. you may be idling in the middle of the lake and not know your filling the ski up with water. I will double my water rail gaskets every time now.

if you get oem head gaskets, just install them. i put a little bit on the carb/intake gasket to hold it in place. much easier than wrestling around with holding everything in place upsidedown..

exhaust? nothing.. it would just melt anyways.lol

Then you have the crank seals. I would find out what kind and where on that 1. if any at all

Check this out.. this is not a good idea. I seen a ski that used blue rtv on the edges of the blue cover for the carbs and when i took it off, you could see chunks of it that already fell off on to the screen. some probably got thru too.

+1
    ok here is the reason. If you see my previous post, not only I have cylinder problem, i also manager to flood the crank case with the flush kit. Ofcause I make a mistake of keep the water running when the engine stop. I also notice that the water is comming out of the gap of the exhaul. Now, I check the gasket, they look ok if not new. So I am assuming the guy that install the gasket before did a bad job. (well he did install the piston facing the wrong side). Buy to play it save, I would like to use some sealant. I have attached a picture of the gasket in question with numbering on them. please let me know what type of sealant you recomment. thanks
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF2039.JPG 
Views:	83 
Size:	677.1 KB 
ID:	205354

p/s: the head gasket (no6) look like the paint came off. I reall have no money to get new one, is that any way i can reuse them?
    for no 5, i will get new one. just wonder it look like paper, if i new to put some sealant.

+1
    ok first things first, you left the hose on huh? ouch,, did you get all the water out of the bottom of the engine yet? rust will start on the bearings if you dont get that out first, or else youll ruin your engine.. have you sprayed anything like wd-40 or silicon spray on the crank to protect the bearing from rusting? you better!

can ya tip the ski over on its side and see if any more water comes out? you could also take off the pulse line and tip the ski on its side and see if any water comes out .. thats number 1..

like xlint said, you dont need sealant really.. just clean the surfaces really good with a razor so they are spotless.
    all your gaskets look ok to me.. to seal it.

Looks like theres already copper spray on the carb. gaskets & those exhaust gasket look heavily crushed. Best thing to do is just buy new gaskets! W ith new gaskets as long as the mating sufaces are well prepared there is no need for sealant. But I do use copper spray on my exh,head, water rail.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    I'd get a Cometic top end gasket kit for around $60.

Not worth the risk .

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by bowsniper View Post
    ok first things first, you left the hose on huh? ouch,, did you get all the water out of the bottom of the engine yet? rust will start on the bearings if you dont get that out first, or else youll ruin your engine.. have you sprayed anything like wd-40 or silicon spray on the crank to protect the bearing from rusting? you better!

can ya tip the ski over on its side and see if any more water comes out? you could also take off the pulse line and tip the ski on its side and see if any water comes out .. thats number 1..

like xlint said, you dont need sealant really.. just clean the surfaces really good with a razor so they are spotless.
    all your gaskets look ok to me.. to seal it.
    Yes, Xlint89 already help me with that.... thanks.

damn..... this thing is sucking my $$$ out of my pocket......

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information