Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: new guy looking

new guy looking

Hey guys how's everyone? First time member here looking for my first ski. My name is Nick, 22yrs old from wallingford CT. I work full time and also am finishing up college next spring (finally). I've always been an avid motorcyclist riding (don't bash) Honda CBR's. I've gone through 3 of them in 3 years due to different things from buddies wrecking them to the latest 09 being stolen. I live with my pops in a condo so luckily no rent just my car and insurance. My parents hated me riding bikes and that's why I'm thinking about crossing over to the waterworld.

I've got a budget of about 5-8, i have no problem getting financed due to very good credit. I will be primarily riding in lakes but might occasionally go to long island sound. I've been looking at the 05-08 RXT's primarily but also the RXP's.

From what I've read for open water the RXT is the way to go due to the larger platform to handle the waves better otherwise the RXP is perfect in lakes. I will be towing buddies for tubing and also taking the girlfriend out so only a 2 seater is probably necessary. I'm a DIY'r myself so maintenance a well as mods will be done by myself minus sending the SC to Jerry(i think wa sthe name) for the rebuild.

Any advice towards a ski would be recommended. I've been on about 4-5 ski's down in myrtle beach but never owned one. Anyone local or in CT that wouldn't mind looking over a ski or 2 with me to let me know if its alright? Does CT require a boaters license if your over 18 btw?

BTW spoke to powerslave about his ski, thing might have too much gitup and go for me as a new guy. I kninda wanna start from stock and learn the mechanics of one so all teh work is my own.

It was good talking to you Nick. Youd be happy with the power of my ski but I dont think buying a heavily modified ski is good for a first time pwc owner. Per our conversation, I think an 06 rxp around $6000 with 75 hrs or so would be a good deal.

Remember the ceramic washers. Find out if they have been changed and also WHY they were changed.

There have been plenty of people who had washer failures and the dealer rebuilt the supercharger without cleaning the fragments out of the engine and then it blew up again.

Try to water test it. Make sure it gets full rpm of 7900+ Make sure it doesnt run hot, doesnt leak, doesnt hesitate, etc.

If you have any other questions, you have my #. This is a great site for information and to meet other local riders. We have a solid group and we ride every week

Thaks for giving my 30minutes of yoru time and advice James. I was hesitant about your ski regardless. I like to have fun and a good time but stupd hurts and your sled would probably realy hurt. lol

seeing that most 06 ski's are going for 6800-8k. I found the dealer in NY and called. he has the 06 75hrs ext wrty til oct of this year for 6200.

http://www.newyorksbestdealer.com/ne...04&pov=1637944

said he'd sell me a glavanized steel trailer for wholesale of about 600.

input? probably better off just buying a used trailer for 300, driving to ny, somehow get them to start it up and maybe even test in water but its doubtful bc they are a dealer. Spoke to them they are calling me back about the washers. they have all teh maintenance records from when teat ski was purchused to when they received it as a trade. went through a 152pt inspection in a bay nearby. He's calling me back about the washers shortly

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Powerslave View Post
    It was good talking to you Nick. Youd be happy with the power of my ski but I dont think buying a heavily modified ski is good for a first time pwc owner. Per our conversation, I think an 06 rxp around $6000 with 75 hrs or so would be a good deal.

Remember the ceramic washers. Find out if they have been changed and also WHY they were changed.

There have been plenty of people who had washer failures and the dealer rebuilt the supercharger without cleaning the fragments out of the engine and then it blew up again.

Try to water test it. Make sure it gets full rpm of 7900+ Make sure it doesnt run hot, doesnt leak, doesnt hesitate, etc.

If you have any other questions, you have my #. This is a great site for information and to meet other local riders. We have a solid group and we ride every week

buy a gpr. you can build a 73-75 mph on a small budget. Most of the money spent is going towards saftey parts ( pump tunnel, ride plate, intake grate, steering nozzle).

Id like a RXP, but im not a fan of the price gouging the factory does on parts if you need to fix it engine wise. 2 Strokes might not be as reliable, but it is ALOT less to repair/replace parts if it goes down. Now im going to put my hard hat on for the shit Powerslave is going to throw at me about 2strokes.

hey slow thanks man. if it means anything i'm a 2stroker at heart. ridden honda 2 stroke dirt bike for years. never went near the 4's due to expensive maintenance costs and how the 2 can take a better beating and get back up. fuel economy was terrible though lol

looks like you're from berlin, do you spend most of your time at old lyme, zoar(is that correct ?) or the LI sound and CT river?

+1
    Welcome to the Hulk..

To tow a tube legally, you need to get a 3 seater. Something to keep in mind.

are they pretty strict about that on the lakes and water around here in CT?

Banned User
    Nastorino,
    Actually i would like to suggest you to look for RXT model on year 2008 must be better, but i don't know the pricing for used PWC in U.S.A.
    The RXT255-X model on year 2008 is the same engine specification 2004-2010 model except only supercharge 2004-2007 = 127mm 2008-2010 = 137mm, intercooler 2004-2007 used internal 2008-2010 change to external all above difference can be increase horse power from 215HP to 255HP top speed for 2008 model around 69-70mph RPM 7950-8060 in standard condition, the above model can be modified easier you can replace aftermarket ECU + fuel Injector + Airflow + upgrade intercooler kit + upgrade supercharge impeller to 15.5psi with spacer + openloop with rideplate that is enough for 78-78.5MPH (the real speed by 2 GPS from Garmin)
    Please kindly consideration before make decision to buy, you have one chance to buy PWC, but if you are wrong decision it can make you unhappy for long time.
    Just want you to have and ridding PWC with your girlfriend with out and bad mood.
    any more information need please mail to me any time or visit my website www.jetski-modify.com

Have a good day/Sikharin VP jetski racing team/Bangkok Thailand

hmmm i was talking to powerslave and i guess after stage 1 i would do teh rxpx sc and intercooller swap and that would bring up my rpms as well as acceleration and wont harm the integrity. most around here are selling 06 and a few 07s rxps. the rxt is harder to find. but then if you jump to 09-10 there are tons of both, sticker price is just a little high for me.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information