A little more XP800 tuning help please...

I followed Steach's advice in an earlier post to get rid of the lean hesitation I was experiencing with my stock jetted/setting carbs on my Vilder flame arrestors:

1.5 NS 80 gram spring (pop off is now 30# in one carb, and 34# in the other, had a couple different springs to try and got the same result everytime.. is this a problem?) I actually didn't have to change the settings in the carb as apparently this is what the last person left the carbs at, so it's been like this since day one.

LSJ 75 LS Adjuster 1 turn out
    HS Stock jet 7/8 turn out

The lean hesitation is gone, I have instant throttle response now when I grab the throttle. My problem now is I lost 1.2 mph on top end (GPS topped out at 55.8, couldn't seem to get it any quicker... last outing was 57 mph) in similar conditions as my last outing, and I now have a bit of a cough/stumble b/w 1/4 and 1/2 throttle, which sucks for minimum speed zones (20-25 mph zones). It feels like it's loading up b/c it clears itself up the second I give it more throttle.

Where should I be looking at this point, HS adjuster need to be less turns out? I ran 93 in it this time due to the 160# of compression, to be safe... could I not need the 93 and it be hurting?

Lastly, the plugs seem to have carbon build up around the flat base of the threads...
    Last edited by javiert99; 10-08-2006 at 08:35 AM.

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Need to lose the Solas Intake Grate. It is probably your top speed loss. Get a Worx...excellent hookup and no speed loss...well at least up to 65 mph.

You should also lose the F/A's and get a set of Fly's. BIG difference. They're cheap...might as well get what is proven to produce the most power.

Your jetting should be good. Hopefully you made sure the internal filter screens were clean too?

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Uh...hopefully you don't have a 95 XP800 like the pic? Carbs are different... a tuning nightmare...

Internal filters were removed and cleaned by me

I do have a 95 XP800... the motor and pump are out of a '96.. I'm not sure whether the carbs are 95 carbs or 96 carbs though.. I can ask the previous owner and find out.

What's the difference that makes them tough to tune, as far as I can tell they're the same and jetted the same

I'll look into the Fly's and Worx grate. Any way of curing the current condition though?

Thread Information