Cleaning / Honing a Cylinder

Cylinder is extremely clean except for one spot where the piston started to burn through. There aren't gauges or scratches in the wall at all. It is almost as if there is a small section where the metal transferred and built up on the cylinder wall. Is there a way to clean / hone this so I can just drop a new piston in??

Thanks

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Clean CylinderWall.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	94.9 KB 
ID:	205271

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ruffcylinder.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	87.0 KB 
ID:	205272

first you acid wash the cyl with muratic acid an a one inch paint brush,the acid will eat off the leftover piston aluminum you can watch it bubble up ,keep brushing off until it gone.then take a good look after you wash it with water.have you ever messed with that kind of acid?be careful an dont breath it in cause it will take your breath away.if all looks good then a hone job will finish it up.

I'm pretty sure that's the same stuff that we have to use to clean the bottom of the boat at the end of the season. But it wont hurt the cylinder itself?

And, What tools would I use to hone a cylinder? Is is there a proper way to do so?

Quote Originally Posted by stokedboarder87 View Post
    I'm pretty sure that's the same stuff that we have to use to clean the bottom of the boat at the end of the season. But it wont hurt the cylinder itself?

And, What tools would I use to hone a cylinder? Is is there a proper way to do so?
    no it will not hurt the cyl,go to auto zone an buy a honer 30 duckies just bought one.self explanitory on the package it comes in,use a slow drill an some wd 40.

Last I heard, you can't hone these cylinders with a standard hone because of the nikasil coating. You need a diamond hone to do it properly.

here is the first post i found on honing amazing what the search button can bring up http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...ylinder+honing

Seem a little confused still.

What is the best approach?

The cylinder was in great condition, just sat for over a year or two, and needs a good hone. There aren't any scratches at all. Just not very smooth anymore.

call your local yamaha shop to ask how much to hone or pm Jims performance he can get it done for you as well as post pictures to see what it looks like here on the board it might be cheaper to have someone look at it and tell you if it can be used then to hone it yourself to find out its not good when you blow up the motor and maybe cause more damage

Thread Information