Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Nonstop, all day, everyday. 01xdime's Avatar
    +1

Equal length header.

I've heard a few things about someone working on this. Does anyone know anything about this? I can see a jacketed equal lenght long tube header being a real power adder. I can also see it being rediculously priced too but i'm sure it wouldn't be easy to make.

+1
    It actually wouldn`t be as hard as you think. Its the R&D for "overall best" design that would cost. There is absolutely no doubt that a header (not even necessarily equal length primaries) would free up power. We operate always above 6G! It would not have to be jacketed either! It could be injected on each primary like a inboard boat header. Paint with right paint before injectors and walla no heat fade.

If someone with a mill would be able to make exhaust port flanges we could be in business. Always remember that a jet over waters a motor. The cooling capabilities are endless without any REAL bowl pressure drop.

+1
    That would be much easier to make than a jacketed header but you would invest a good chunk of time tuning the water i would imagine.

Bo DuPriest was working on one, heard the price was around $3K. If you think about how many pieces of tubing would have to be welded in sequence to have a jacketed pipe, i.e. a tube inside a tube, and not leak a drop of water from any of the welds you can understand the price.

+1
    Yeah i figured that. If you make one with a simple design i think it would be possible to offer it for $500-$700 though.

+1
    I'm seriously entertaining the idea of going into the PWC perfromance parts production. If you could deal with the idea of making %15-%25 profit you could make a killing, be fair in price, and stand up to big compaines like Riva.

+1
    Bo dupriest is making them for his riders now...I think. PM him or maybe he'll chime in .

+1

Wink

3g for a header is just plain stupid. 15-25% markup? There wouldn`t be any aftermarket companies if the profit margin was that low.

I would tend to agree. Although I am sure producing a header for this engine is a time consuming project the expected gains do not warrant spending 3,000.00 for it. There comes a point of diminishing returns and IMO this is one of them.

As far as 15-25 percent markups this is actually a decent return on investment. Where can you put your money right now and earn that kind of guranteed return?

Quote Originally Posted by HOSS View Post
    3g for a header is just plain stupid. 15-25% markup? There wouldn`t be any aftermarket companies if the profit margin was that low.

+1
    What do you think the profit margin is on most of the aftermarket parts sold for these 4 tecs? Many are well over the %15-%25 mark i bet. I figured a header would really only work well with a more highly modified engine but i'm trying to look at mods more in terms of what hasn't been looked into by the average rec. rider. What about the intake manifold? Something like that wouldn't be too hard to manufacture. What gains are to be had there?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information