Need to repair damaged piston and billet head

I have a 2000 Kawasaki Ultra 150 JH1200A.

I have a damaged billet head and a damaged piston. Here is a pic of each:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P7150025.jpg 
Views:	265 
Size:	161.8 KB 
ID:	205358Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P7150029.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	94.9 KB 
ID:	205359

I just ordered "Head Shell - Kawasaki Ultra 150/1200 (Part # ku150)" from ADA Racing.
    I now need to know what to order to replace the piston.

Can you suggest the part number and a supplier to order from?
    Thanks.

+1
    You probably don't need the head shell. The dome should come out of the head shell and you'll need the dome and I'd go ahead and pick up all the O rings from them too. I have no idea what cc dome that is. Maybe one of the other guys could chime in on this.
    You will need a piston, rings, wrist pin, bearing, and clips. Go to the OEM online microfich and you'll see the group of parts around the piston.
    With the cylinder, do you have any scratches or gouges that you can feel with your fingernail? If you do then you'll need a repaired cylinder.

Another thought--- Since the carb work is still questionable you might be better off putting a WTB post up for stock heads and do away with the ADA o-ring heads. I know a few who have had problems with them sealing as well. The stock heads usually go fairly cheap. This way even if the carbs are stock it will eliminate one of your problems.....-----<<<Just thinking out loud.

+1
    Also, before you start ordering parts you might as well take a few hours and get the motor out and torn down. Make a complete list of all your damaged parts as well as ANY gaskets you've seperated so you know exactly what you need to order.

Quote Originally Posted by DrewNJ View Post
    You probably don't need the head shell. The dome should come out of the head shell and you'll need the dome and I'd go ahead and pick up all the O rings from them too.
    With the cylinder, do you have any scratches or gouges that you can feel with your fingernail?
    Already placed the order in Arizona. Just called them to see if I can change order. That would save me a chunk of money...hope I can, thanks.

re: Cylinder Wall -- I did feel around and it seemed very smooth. Fortunately the piston was anchored all the way to the bottom of the cylinder so I was able to feel the surfaces throughout.

Finally, gotta do this piece meal fashion as I am up against the clock for Sunday the 25th

+1
    What did it eat? Only way to get those types of marks is if something harder than the head and piston crown went through and bounced around. Bearing, Ring, bolt??????? What condition is your crank in? You have some investigation to do before you drop $300-1000 in rebuilding that engine.

my guess is that it was a ring that hung up on the exhaust port, then broke and that is what was bouncing around.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by captainoverspray View Post
    my guess is that it was a ring that hung up on the exhaust port, then broke and that is what was bouncing around.
    Good Point! You can kinda see it can't you at the top of the second pic right on the edge of the cylinder. right along the lower port section. I'm wondering what the cylinder looks like on the edges below the piston that can't be seen.

post some pics of the cylinder when you get it pulled off and we can let you know if it need to be repaired or is still good. Also post picture of the piston once it is out.

+1
    5$ on the ring theory!

Thread Information