Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

+1

STX15F steering assist

I have a STX12F and a STX15F; the 15 has what they call steering assist while the 12 does not. Steering assist monitors handlebar position and applies a small amount of throttle when the bars are turned full lock. I really don't like this. Has anyone disabled this? Is it even possible to disable? How?

+1
    don't try to disable it. the ski won't run . why would you want to disable it in the first place?? Its a safely feature that could possibily keep you out of the emergency room.

The 12F should have it as well. My 07's do.

+1
    If the 12 does have it, it doesn't apply nearly as much throttle as the 15. While just idling around on the 15, turning the bars all the way to lock will actually speed the machine up a coupe of MPH or so. The reason I want to disable it is we use the machines to ski behind; for normal running I think it's a plus but not necessary (I've been riding PWCs since '85). With the 15, while maneuvering around it makes it difficult for inexperienced skiers to hold the rope and get set up because the machine speeds up too much. It will even speed up enough to make it difficult to feed the rope through your hand while the machine is being maneuvered around after a fall. While I'm driving the 15, it's not a problem because I use the reverse bucket lever to slightly lower the bucket and control the machine's speed (I actually do the same on the 12 for inexperienced skiers to make it easier on them). It's when an operator with a little less experience is running the 15 that there can be a slight issue.

STX-15FER, can you tell me what your machine's tach shows the RPMs to be with the handle bars turned full lock. Maybe mine is speeding up more than normal.

My 2010 only applies throttle when cramping the wheel and the boat is coming off plane. It doesn't do anything once the boat settles back into the water. Sounds like yours is trying to help a little to much.

check you throttle cable. Remove seat while on trailer. With ski NOT running turn handle bars all the way from right to left while watching the throttle plate and see if it moves. If it does the cable is either adjusted too tight or the cable is routed wrong.

David

+1
    according to my tach Dennis, It actually shows maybe a 300 rpm increase which isn't much but thats after coming off of full throttle. It doesn't kick in at idle and if yours is? You could have a cable issue or something out of adjustment.

+1
    OK, thanks. That's what I needed to know. Mine definately speeds up when just idling along and cranking the handlebars to lock in either direction. I'll have to look into the cable routing.

+1
    DUH!

I can't believe I didn't find this on my own. It was a simple matter of the throttle cable being adjusted too tight. I've replaced lots of cables on my previous machines (PWC & motorcycles), that's why I can't believe it never dawned on me to check it.

Problem was, the 15F did this from day one. It came adjusted too tight so I thought it was a normal part of the steering assist. Thanks for the tip David. Sometimes we overlook the obvious and try to make things more complicated than they really are.

+1
    If you adjusted it when it was cold, recheck it when the engine is good and warmed up. The throttle cable will tighten up when the engine gets hot. Was having the same issue as you were having after adjusting the cable to take some slack out when I had a 06 STX-15F.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information