Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

'99 XP - New motor, now loosing pump intermittently

So I had an SBT motor dropped into my '99 XP, took it to the lake, the ski is running great, and after about 6-8 minutes the pump stops unless at idle, I was able to idle back to the ramp. Any attempt to exceed idle and the pump stops pushing water. Back at the shop everything between the impeller and the motor is inspected and looks fine, it was run in a tank for an hour at varying speeds and the pump worked fine. I took it to the lake and it lasted less than 15 minutes, this time I had to be towed back to the ramp as after about 200yards at idle the pump gradually peetered out to no output. (rpm's gradually increased at the same time). So the shop takes it to the lake for about 45 minutes and it runs fine, I then take it to the lake and put several hours on it with no issue, runs great.

Only other observation was that I swear I heard a slight "metal on metal" noise very briefly at one point soon after this issue occurred and the ski was at idle. Also, if you stopped the motor and immediately restarted there was still no pumping, however, if you stopped and waited a couple of minutes before restarting at would pump at idle only at least for a little while.

We are really scratching our heads and i don't want to take it any distance from the ramp...

Any thought or suggestions from you guys would be greatly appreciated. thanks

Help - How is it possible to lose your pump intermittently?

Hey XP experts...

I am at a complete loss as to how I can be losing my pump intermittently, it makes no sense at all. Any suggestions please?

+1
    it doesnt make sense. the only thing i can think of is the prop/driveshaft/pto is stripping. the only other thing is the pto is slipping on the crank. you sure its just not cavaitaing? cause thats what it sounds like. not going anywhere as rpms rise. yet will idle.

Hey Mibunkerking - It isn't cavitating, and I am suspicious that the pto was slipping on the crank as well since nothing visible shows any sign of failure. All other areas would show signs of failure, correct?

I rode it very hard today and it worked perfectly...

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    sounds like you have a bad seal from the ride plate or the pump to the hull...you may need to re seal that.

airbornexp - but the last several hours of hard riding there have been no symptoms what so ever. What do you think about the possibility that the pto was slipping on the crank and now has stopped slipping?

RETIRED !! In Mobile AL or Wherever I Want To Go
    +1
    Check the splines on your impeller, shaft, pto. I bet they are worn. That would cause and intermittent problem.

Time to pull the pump and see whats going on there...

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    yes pull the pump. there is no way that the PTO can slip as it is reverse threaded on the crank shaft. Im not sure that this is worn splines either. if the splines were worn and he hit the throttle it would almost instantly strip the splines on the pump or the shaft. im thinking that its your seal or your wear ring. if the seal is bad it can suck in air aind cause your problem also.

if the drive shaft grease points were not greased the rubber ends on the drive shaft could have worn down. This would cause excess play in the drive shaft allowing it to come in and out of the prop/pto. One min it could be engaged and then you hit a wave and it causes a shift in the shaft to where it is not engaged.

How much play does your drive shaft have if you grab it and move it front to back?

+1 on pulling the pump to check the rubber pieces and splines.

just a thought....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information