1200 xlt been sitting for 8 years

a friend just gave me his 1999 yamaha 1200 xl limited, its been sitting for about 8 years with no use, it is not siezed and has good compression, of course the carbs are being rebuilt, (getting to the carbs sucks, had to take off the whole exaust sys.) still trying to decide if I should remove the oil pump or not I probably will for the peace of mind, its so hard to see anything with the exaust covering everything up you never would know if you had a hose come loose untill it was too late.

is there anything else I should do to get this ski ready after a long period of sitting?

I'm sure you changed the fuel lines and filter... I would personally remove the oil and go pre mix its really a simple thing to do and doesn't take much time...

I would put a tablespoon of 2-stroke oil in each cylinder and turn the motor over a few times to coat the internals also dont forget to get the primer and remove the choke plates for the carbs so it will start easy chokes suk

thank for the feedback, I read about taking the choke plates out but I wasn't sure what was gained by removing them, what kind of primer is needed when the chokes are removed? I am an outboard guy Ive worked on a lot of boats but I am new to jet skies so when you say primer I am thinking like a primer bulb on a boat ?

also is there a differant jetting required with chokes removed, I see the recomemdation is 120 mains with chokes and 125 mains with out chokes,

I already ordered the 120 mains,and the rest of the carb jetting kit, FA's, D plate, oil pump block off, wave eater clips, hopfully this makes for a reliable ski, I hope the crank isn't rusty from sitting so long...

will it matter if I use 120 mains with the chokes removed, or is there really that much gained by removing the chokes

you will get more air flow without the chokes i would use the correct jetting pm osidebill he is an expert in the carbs not me he is a great help, here is the primer kit you can order it from the online hulk store and enter greenhulk and get 10% off if its a riva kit http://www.4-tecperformance.com/inde...oducts_id=1139

get rid of the cat converter and put in a D-plate ,I decided to keep the oil inject on my 2000 xll cause of ease . Using Oetiker clips and new lines will keep the lines in place . The oil pumps are very reliable it's the connections that may fail . The info you get on this site is A1 for anything you have a question on . Check to make sure you have an aftermarket intake grate !!

+1
    if you already ordered the 120 mains you will be fine, just open the high speed screws up to 2 turns out start with.

I guess I have to order the primer kit if I take the chokes out so I might as well send the $10 to get 125 mains and stick to the tried recipe I hope that it all goes back together and runs smooth, getting to the carbs on this ski sucks

im glad someone else figured out the right settings (thanks to osidebill) because taking the whole rack off for a minor adj. would get old fast.

I might just send my carbs to bill to make sure its done right the first time...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by dws1227 View Post
    I guess I have to order the primer kit if I take the chokes out so I might as well send the $10 to get 125 mains and stick to the tried recipe I hope that it all goes back together and runs smooth, getting to the carbs on this ski sucks

im glad someone else figured out the right settings (thanks to osidebill) because taking the whole rack off for a minor adj. would get old fast.

I might just send my carbs to bill to make sure its done right the first time...

If you do that no need to order jets or primer kit I have those in stock

Thread Information