2002 Virage 700 starts and runs 4 minutes or so then stops, help!

You have probably responded to this in other posts but for a newby could you direct me to possible solutions? Just put a rebuilt engine in last year and took it out for first time this year and it ran strong for an hour or two then stopped like the lanyard was pulled. Started in afer some cranking and drove another 100 yeards then it stopped again. Turns over but won't start. Pulled to shore. After cooling off same thing, starts and you can drive it about 3 to 400 yards then just stops. Digital display kinda goes nuts just as it stops, but goes back to regular after a few minutes.

Battery is good. No signs of condensation in the "black box". Is this one of those deals I have seen posted where the machine thinks it is running but isn't and dies? 2002 Virage 700 carborated engine.

Any ideas? A little water in bottom of machine near engine but no great amount.

Thanks for any help.

Quote Originally Posted by 2002 Virage Fan View Post
    You have probably responded to this in other posts but for a newby could you direct me to possible solutions? Just put a rebuilt engine in last year and took it out for first time this year and it ran strong for an hour or two then stopped like the lanyard was pulled. Started in afer some cranking and drove another 100 yeards then it stopped again. Turns over but won't start. Pulled to shore. After cooling off same thing, starts and you can drive it about 3 to 400 yards then just stops. Digital display kinda goes nuts just as it stops, but goes back to regular after a few minutes.

Battery is good. No signs of condensation in the "black box". Is this one of those deals I have seen posted where the machine thinks it is running but isn't and dies? 2002 Virage 700 carborated engine.

Any ideas? A little water in bottom of machine near engine but no great amount.

Thanks for any help.
    sounds like the mfi . there are links on here to trouble shoot the mfi .
    several members have had this issue in past , including me .
    use the search forum , and you should be able to bypass it , and see if that helps !

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by 2002 Virage Fan View Post
    ...Just put a rebuilt engine in last year and took it out for first time this year and it ran strong for an hour or two then stopped like the lanyard was pulled.

Started in after some cranking and drove another 100 yards then it stopped again. Turns over but won't start. Pulled to shore.

After cooling off same thing, starts and you can drive it about 3 to 400 yards then just stops. Digital display kinda goes nuts just as it stops, but goes back to regular after a few minutes.

Battery is good. No signs of condensation in the "black box"...
    Welcome back

Are you sure the engine is receiving oil lubrication?
    If this is a new engine, are you doing the break-in process?
    Did you add oil to the fuel tank for break-in?

What exactly does the MFI display do when it goes 'nuts'?

Right now, my guess is that there is an electrical ground problem. Start with the battery negative cable. Remove and clean both ends, and the engine connection area and bolt.

Does the MFI display have any signs of damage or moisture inside?

Any corrosion in the electrical box?

You can by-pass the MFI and see if the problem goes away.

Multi-Function Display (MFD)
    Also MFI and NGI displays

Thread Information