Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: oil question

  1. #1
    Horus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Long Island, N.Y.
    Posts
    169

    oil question

    (03 gp1300r)

    how important is it to use yamalube brand 2 stroke oil?

    i have an extra gal of west marine brand and i don't want it to go to waste

    my ski is stock except for when the cat broke and the dealer replaced it with a replacement piece of some type


  2. #2
    agsbill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Gainesville, Ga.. Lake Lanier ....... 2006 FXHO Cruiser
    Posts
    270
    Quote Originally Posted by Horus View Post
    (03 gp1300r)

    how important is it to use yamalube brand 2 stroke oil?

    i have an extra gal of west marine brand and i don't want it to go to waste

    my ski is stock except for when the cat broke and the dealer replaced it with a replacement piece of some type
    You need to use Yamaha 2W oil unless the Catalitic Converter was replaced with an O or D plate......

    If that has replaced you can use any 2 stroke oil...or continue to use Yamaha 2W oil..

    OIL is cheap...engines are knot

    Bill

  3. #3
    B&V
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Lake Grove NY
    Posts
    158
    agsbill is right,stick with the 2w,but i'd get ride of the cat/con,then use what you want

  4. #4
    fenn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Exit 98, New Jersey
    Posts
    926
    +1
    1
    if the cat converter is gone then as long as its tcw-3 oil you'll be fine. i've done it in a jam

  5. #5
    cmgww's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    314
    +1
    8
    With the cat delete you are free to use any TCW-3...I use Quicksilver Premium plus, doesn't smoke quite as bad. Dad swears by Maxima Super M, but it's a bit too pricey for me...

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Texas City, Texas
    Posts
    1,249
    +1
    15
    It is true that once the catalytic converter is replaced with the "D" or "O" plate that you can use any tcw-3 oil, but you get what you pay for.

    Some of the cheaper oils, I think they are called parafin based will get the job done, but there is not as much protection and they tend to sludge up your gas valves quickly.

    The semisynthetics burn a bit cleaner (like the Yamalube) and give very good protection against wear.

    The full synthetics are pricey, but they burn real clean and give great protection.

  7. #7
    Horus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Long Island, N.Y.
    Posts
    169
    thanks so much for the answers!

  8. #8
    Moderator DrewNJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Marlton, NJ
    Posts
    3,716
    +1
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by salty View Post
    It is true that once the catalytic converter is replaced with the "D" or "O" plate that you can use any tcw-3 oil, but you get what you pay for.

    Some of the cheaper oils, I think they are called parafin based will get the job done, but there is not as much protection and they tend to sludge up your gas valves quickly.

    The semisynthetics burn a bit cleaner (like the Yamalube) and give very good protection against wear.

    The full synthetics are pricey, but they burn real clean and give great protection.
    Yamalube burns clean?? hahahahahahahaha.... Yamalube burns as clean as burning some old car tires! It does protect well, but it is totally sludge making oil for sure!

  9. #9
    my ski has thrust vectoring......does yours??? killcraft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    chesapeake Va.
    Posts
    270
    ok so you guys are saying with the stock cat i cant run amsoil dominator?????

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Texas City, Texas
    Posts
    1,249
    +1
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by killcraft View Post
    ok so you guys are saying with the stock cat i cant run amsoil dominator?????
    Yes you can run Amsoil with a stock cat. The reason why you cannot run the straight parafin based oils is that it will plug the catalytic converter. Yamalube is a semisynthetic, which burns a bit cleaner allowing the cataltic converter to function properly (keep your exhaust within EPA guidlines).

    Compared to Amsoil, Yamalube looks like sludge, but it burns clean enough. If you look in your manual it calls to have your valves serviced from time to time to clean the sludge and allow your valves to cycle full open and closed easily. With Amsoil, the intervals for cleaning the valves are much, much futher apart.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. 2 stroke oil questions..What brand do you use?
    By GeoRXT in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (2-stroke)
    Replies: 54
    Last Post: 08-09-2008, 11:04 AM
  2. Yes another oil question
    By Blackhardt in forum 2-Stroke Performance
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-21-2007, 04:39 PM
  3. Synthetic oil Question
    By Snoman in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 03-04-2007, 08:19 PM
  4. Quick Oil Question , help please!
    By NeverEndn in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-07-2006, 03:10 PM
  5. Car Oil Question
    By Franko in forum Sea Doo Open Discussion
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 02-26-2006, 07:39 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •