98 Polaris 1050 dropping power

I've got a 98 Polaris 1050. Water got into the engine compartment and I started immediately, same day, experiencing problems. When I get started, the engine runs fine up to about 28 mph. At that point, it acts like the Governor in a car and drops power. It then makes a noise like it's misfiring, but it's not. All three cylinders have sufficient compression, according to mechanic.
    I can back off of the throttle, play with the choke and get the engine back to speed, until it gets back to around 28 mph. Then it just drops off again. If I'm on the river, where the water is much smoother, I can adjust the choke and get the speeds up pretty high. On the lake, however, if I hit any wave, it looses power as soon as I start to come out of the water.
    The mechanic doesn't know what the problem is, has never heard of it, and hasn't seen the way it's behaving as it can't be duplicated in shop. He wants to open up the carb because of the choke issue, but I'm not confident that's the problem either.
    Does anyone have any experience with this problem. Help!!!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jp4373 View Post
    I've got a 98 Polaris 1050. Water got into the engine compartment and I started immediately, same day, experiencing problems. When I get started, the engine runs fine up to about 28 mph. At that point, it acts like the Governor in a car and drops power. It then makes a noise like it's misfiring, but it's not. All three cylinders have sufficient compression, according to mechanic.
    I can back off of the throttle, play with the choke and get the engine back to speed, until it gets back to around 28 mph. Then it just drops off again. If I'm on the river, where the water is much smoother, I can adjust the choke and get the speeds up pretty high. On the lake, however, if I hit any wave, it looses power as soon as I start to come out of the water.
    The mechanic doesn't know what the problem is, has never heard of it, and hasn't seen the way it's behaving as it can't be duplicated in shop. He wants to open up the carb because of the choke issue, but I'm not confident that's the problem either.
    Does anyone have any experience with this problem. Help!!!
    open up the ebox and dry it out.. i bet you have water in there.. also check your plug boots and wires.. pull the plug boots off and cut them back 1/4 and install the boots back on..

Ryandi2 you were on the money. I could have raised a goldfish in the ebox. There was a good bit corrosion and unk. growth on the connections, so I pulled them all off to clean the board. I'm not much of a mechanic, so how do I keep the water out? Should I replace the seal on the box. Then, any idea on how water is getting into the engine compartment. Usually starts getting in while ski are just sittng in water for hour or so. Do the plugs go bad? Thanks again for the help. So glad I didn't pay the $500 + the mechanic wanted to "check" the carburator.

Thread Information