+1

Pump assembly on MSX 140

Good morning all, I got my motor pulled out last night despite not getting the pump assembly to release itself from the death grip it has on the pump extension tube. Had to take the motor mounts completly out of the hull on one side, tip motor, slide fuel tank forward etc... all to get the flywheel and stator pulled. Bendix and flywheel spit teeth into the stator, thats why this problem was so intermitent, pieces of metal were making my stator ground, it finally gave up, anyway, I have been chasing this thing for about 1 month, and it looks like I am finally getting to the bottom of it. Any tricks to get pump assembly pulled would be appreciated. I don't think I will get the motor back in until I can get the drive shaft to slide back. It will pull forward so it is not the drive shaft seized in the impeller, but rather the pump housing siezed to pump assembly via corrosion.... Any help would be appreciated... anybody have a used flywheel that they want to sell?? I am sending Stator off to RMStator in Canada for a rebuild, have used these guys for years on sled stuff, they are awesome.... Flat fee on MSX Stator of 150.00 bucks. Thanks to everyone who has helped on this project... just to recap as I think this could be a common set of crap for anyone owning an MSX 140.
    1. At speed the motor would miss, let off the throttle, get back in, all seemed ok
    2. Then it just quit running all together
    3. Brought into shop, built code reader, replaced water temp sensor and CPS based on codes
    4. Cleared codes, kept getting the 17 code, motor would only run at idle, checked fuel pressure... NONE
    5. Pulled Pump assembly, found regulator in basket, used fix posted on greenhulk, fixed that, had 20lbs of fuel pressure
    6. Motor would idle and run up, but started hard, cleared all codes, 17 back again... i kept dismissing this
    7. towed in... motor would run as long as I stayed in the throttle, then it quit running all together... stator starting to fail as I look back on it..., then failed
    8. Pulled motor, found broken teeth on bendix, and flywheel, sand blasted case, and magnet surface on flywheel, this was where the stutter running was coming from, letting off cleared the surface, finally a large enough piece came through and finished it.
    All of this could have been found on the first troubleshooting session, had I accepted the fact that anything could go wrong, and looked deeper at the stator and electrical system... I had a 17 on the very first code read, and kept disregarding it. I guess from all my sled experience, in 25 years of working on sleds, I have not seen that many bad stators... Lots of references on here to MSX Bendix, and stator issues, should have listened... as they say hindsight is 20/20!! So all of you having a crazy unpredictable experience with the MSX, pull the 12 pin connector off the fitch box, hook ohm meter to ground, and touch each pin in the connector to red lead... if you get a buzz or a reading other than open line... check your cables, if all looks good, get at that stator and i will about bet you had your bendix spit a few teeth, then eventually you will shoot teeth on your flywheel... very very poor design, however in a marine environment I don't know how they would approach electric starters any differently. They sure have it nailed on the sled side of their business...

+1
    Most likely the pump segments are stuck use a dead blow hammer and beat around the sections. Also a 2X4 between the rideplate and pump can help.

+1
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3176.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	66.6 KB 
ID:	205485
    I got it, slide rail puller from my sled toolbox, a scrap of wood, inverted the pump bolts, nutted them into the wood, slipped in the ears, and gave it about 5 good whacks on the slide hammer!!

+1
    Thats thinking with your dipstick.

+1

Pics of my current MSX project

Name:	IMG_3170.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	73.9 KB 
ID:	205486
    Here is the code reader I built using information from Greenhulk.

Name:	IMG_3173.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	81.1 KB 
ID:	205487
    Here is my flywheel, notice the lack of dental work... ate the stator...

Name:	IMG_3174.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	119.4 KB 
ID:	205488
    Motor catching some wind... when you ride a MSX I think this is how hang time is defined!! Haha

Name:	IMG_3175.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	109.7 KB 
ID:	205489
    Parts pile...... and now thanks to my handy dandy pump puller the pump assembly can sit up there....Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3176.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	66.6 KB 
ID:	205490

+1

Thumbs up Pic of my other Polaris that is just as "challenging" to keep running as the MSX

Name:	IMG_3149.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	104.1 KB 
ID:	205491
    I would put this in a dead heat drag with the MSX no problem, and in the summer.... and I know very clearly which one would win... however this one does not allow you to stop in the middle of the lake and relax.... 180hp... 2 stroke, oil burning muscle machine....

I'm feeling naturally aspirated today pirate33's Avatar
    +1
    just to be clear, is the pump already off the boat? what year is the boat? cuz on a '03 you must drop the ride plate to get the pump off

+1

Smile Yep pump is free...

It is a late 2003, it is tight on the ride plate, but just enough clearance, I am going to take a 3" disc sander in there and shave the top of the plate down just a fuzz more, so going back in it won't hold me up... there was about a 32nd of an inch of clearance between bottom of pump and ride plate.

Thread Information