Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Hueneme Beach Ca.

Can't decide: Modded FX SHO or stock FZS I really need some input

My plan is to buy a new ski today. I just sold my Riva Stage II GP1200R this week. I can get a new 2009 FZS (I'm getting the FZS only because I want it in black) for $12,200 including all taxes, fees etc. with the extended warranty or $400 worth of accessories.
    Or I found a 2008 FX SHO with 22HRS for $7000. It is also black.
    I'll have to pay about $500 in taxes to register it and it's 350 miles away, so I'll have to take into account that I'm driving 700 miles R/T to get it. (add to that, hotel and meals)That sort of puts the real difference in price at closer to $4000, rather than $5000.
    If I get the FZS, I'm limited to spending about $1000 to mod it right away.
    If I get the FX, I can spend about $3000 without the wife getting upset.
    I'm 57 years old and am not going to be bouy racing, but I will not be putting around either.
    I raced motocross for 15 years ( along time ago) and still just love to go as fast as I have the nuts and strength to go. I like hard turns and accelleration and like the rough stuff.
    I live at the beach so there will definately be some ocean riding.
    Does the FX have any substantial deficiencies over the FZ? What am I not getting if I cheap out and get the FX?

My daily driver is a 900 HP Z06 and my shop truck is a Trailblazer SS with even more than that. So you can see that I definately have a horsepower addiction.
    I build late model Corvette supercharger systems for a living and have a full shop where I can machine, fabricate, and thoroughly mod this thing at work.
    I already talked to Vortech and I can get any of the available supercharger impellers for next to nothing.
    I'm also a pretty decent tuner and I'm sure I can tune one of these things once I get a handle on the software. I'm asuming that if I go with the Motec, down the line, that I can datalog and tune the ECM just like I do on the Corvettes.
    If you had $1000 to spend, what would you do to the FZ?
    Same question for the FX. What would you do for $3000?
    Thanks for any input.

+1
    i also have the same problem on deciding. a buddy of mine owns a yamaha shop and hes getting the 2 to demo this weekend so i should have my mind made up tomorrow. i can hopefully have some input tomorrow afternoon for you.

im sure other people will chime in here.

what yr is your z06. i have an 03 z51. id like to put a magnacharger on there one day.

That's an awful lot of money to be saved by getting the SHO.
    Unless I was just determined to get the FZ for the appearances and such I would have to get the SHO.
    Of course, then you take some of the dollars saved and immediately apply some mods.
    I would probably just do handling mods until the MoTec ECU went in. You don't sound like the type to send your ECU in to have its map changed. I'd get the rods and pistons done about the same time as the ECU.

Smile

Like SHOBiz, I would say, get a SHO if ur not going for some bouy racing.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by SHOBiz View Post
    Unless I was just determined to get the FZ for the appearances and such I would have to get the SHO.
    Of course, then you take some of the dollars saved and immediately apply some mods.
    I would probably just do handling mods until the MoTec ECU went in. You don't sound like the type to send your ECU in to have its map changed. I'd get the rods and pistons done about the same time as the ECU.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammy View Post
    Like SHOBiz, I would say, get a SHO if ur not going for some bouy racing.
    I'm with these guys SHO...I have rode both ski's plenty, and I'm not just posting because I own a SHO. If you are rough watering it up like open ocean I would always pick the SHO. I catch more water in the face on the FZ. I will say for closed course racing that the FZ is incredible though. Same motor in both ski's and neither one is a "wrong" choice.

Go SHO then make it faster than any stock FZ with go fast parts.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by SHOBiz View Post

Nice picture!

+1
    i drove 1600mi r\t for my SHO and didnt pay a dime for a hotel. Keep on truckin and SHO em how its done. Mcdonalds is pretty cheap too. food expense doesn't have to be costly. I love my SHO river riding or offshore.

Hueneme Beach Ca.
    Quote Originally Posted by mojoez51 View Post
    i also have the same problem on deciding. a buddy of mine owns a yamaha shop and hes getting the 2 to demo this weekend so i should have my mind made up tomorrow. i can hopefully have some input tomorrow afternoon for you.

im sure other people will chime in here.

what yr is your z06. i have an 03 z51. id like to put a magnacharger on there one day.
    Well, I couln't wait. I bought a new FZR this afternoon.
    I took it out in the ocean this afternoon and I think I like it a lot. It's not as fast at the top end as my GPR was, but it has a ton of torque down low, in comparison.
    I'm going to yank out the air filter setup and make something at the shop. I have quite a few stainless mandrel bends and silicone couplers laying around.
    It also looks like there's a whole bunch of crap hooked up to the exhaust that can come out.
    Fortunately for me, Yamaha uses a Vortech supercharger unit.
    I own A&A Corvette Performance in California. We build our own supercharger systems, using Vortech head units. (you should look into our superchargers before gettiing a Magnuson) I buy Vortech superchargers 25 to 50 at a time, so they'll be glad to comp me whichever impeller I want for the FZR. They can also hook me up with the tuning.
    That gives me a pretty good jump on things with not a lot of money spent.
    I'm going to hook up one of our custom blowoff valves too. (custom made by Turbosmart for us)
    I think with the supercharger impeller, a better intake, free up the exhaust, retune the PCM and some handling mods, this thing should be pretty good.
    BTW: My Z06 is an 06. It makes 736 RWHP with a T Trim head unit, on pump gas. It makes 839 RWHP with a YSI head unit and a mix of pump and race gas.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Vettepro View Post
    Well, I couln't wait. I bought a new FZR this afternoon.
    I took it out in the ocean this afternoon and I think I like it a lot. It's not as fast at the top end as my GPR was, but it has a ton of torque down low, in comparison.
    I'm going to yank out the air filter setup and make something at the shop. I have quite a few stainless mandrel bends and silicone couplers laying around.
    It also looks like there's a whole bunch of crap hooked up to the exhaust that can come out.
    Fortunately for me, Yamaha uses a Vortech supercharger unit.
    I own A&A Corvette Performance in California. We build our own supercharger systems, using Vortech head units. (you should look into our superchargers before gettiing a Magnuson) I buy Vortech superchargers 25 to 50 at a time, so they'll be glad to comp me whichever impeller I want for the FZR. They can also hook me up with the tuning.
    That gives me a pretty good jump on things with not a lot of money spent.
    I'm going to hook up one of our custom blowoff valves too. (custom made by Turbosmart for us)
    I think with the supercharger impeller, a better intake, free up the exhaust, retune the PCM and some handling mods, this thing should be pretty good.
    BTW: My Z06 is an 06. It makes 736 RWHP with a T Trim head unit, on pump gas. It makes 839 RWHP with a YSI head unit and a mix of pump and race gas.
    So HKS is somehow connected to Vortec? And they make wheels right off the shelf for the supercharger in your ski? AND you got the hook-up on the tuning already? Sounds like you're set.

+1
    take the intake gauze out before you do anything else or you wont feel the benefits at all.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information