+1

How long will sleeved cylinders last?

Was going to rebuild my first motor, 1200pv, discovered the dropped pv pin tore up one cylinder plus scored the other two. Three good cylinders will cost around $800, honing/boring & replating about the same, but sleeving should only be around $225 for all 3.
    I know sleeves don't dissipate heat as well, probably lose a little horsepower, but the big question is: how long will they last?
    How many hours have you put on sleeved cylinders?

Thanks.

100 MILES OF HEAVEN AND I AM SMACK IN THE MIDDLE KEYZBUM's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by toyterrific View Post
    Was going to rebuild my first motor, 1200pv, discovered the dropped pv pin tore up one cylinder plus scored the other two. Three good cylinders will cost around $800, honing/boring & replating about the same, but sleeving should only be around $225 for all 3.
    I know sleeves don't dissipate heat as well, probably lose a little horsepower, but the big question is: how long will they last?
    How many hours have you put on sleeved cylinders?

Thanks.
    a dropped pv in 1 cyl should not score the others????? something else is up with the other cly's....
    and pv motor have a coating of niksil on the walls,,,, are you looking at resleeving with sbt or some other NON niksil coated cyl's????===less power

+1
    By "scoring" the other two cylinders, meant a couple of vertical marks that you can feel with your fingernail. Assume the metal that went to the bottom of the crankcase when the piston came apart may have been carried by oil up into other cylinders. This was oil-injected ski at the time.
    Was looking at the cast iron sleeves by SBT.

+1
    Have you tried cleaning the other two cylinders with muratic acid?. I would not be so quick to dismiss those other two cylinders. A light hone job is also part of this option.

Those cylinders are like 3 seperate motors attached to a common crankshaft. What happens in one cylinder should not effect the other two cylinders. There is no common oil pan, and you should not have parts from one cylinder contaminate the other two.

+1
    Yes, I want people's thoughts on this as well. When I bought my GPR I was told by the previous owner that they sleeved the middle cylinder after it seized on them. They weren't sure why, I bought from a marina and they were selling it on behalf of someone else...anyway mine runs great for now, compression is fine, but I want to eventually replace that sleeve with a proper nicasil coated cylinder...(btw their "repair" job sucked, it was clear they didn't know what they were doing...they had mismatched bolts, they broke the shims on the motor/exhaust mount up front and used half a shim on each bolt...my dad and I had to fix all that crap)

Thread Information