Troubleshooting a yamha gp 1200r

Well got a killer deal on a 2002 gp 1200 with a double trailer and i knew something had to be wrong with the ski. I did a compression test before buying it , all cylinders are at 120-125. everything seemed solid, the guy hooked it up with the hose sounded decent.

Took it out to the water today and man is the ski very sluggish when taking off and seems to accelerate slowly but then gets up there and it doesnt help that its not original gauges so I dont think it was reading right.

Problems with the ski, it runs accelerates very slowly to get up to speed, I dont think it goes past 40, and after riding for about 25mins the warning lights comes on and it shuts off.

where should i start first when troubleshooting a problem like this.. i work on superjets which are kinda easier so i have some knowledge.

+1
    I would pull the carbs and go through them. Also check the condition of the pump.

Like beerdart said, definitely go through the carbs and check the pump. Also, I'd pull apart the stinger and check the condition of the catalytic converter, they tend to deteriorate and could have come lose from its housing and traveled further down the exhaust clogging it up.

cylinder 1 and 2's spark plugs are covered in oil and the third plug is in good condition

on the second cylinder there is a bunch of oil from close to the head all the way down the motor and only in that area which has spread around the hull.
    i wish i had more time but any ideas or where to start will be helpful

Check that CAT, bet it broke off and is lodged in the exhaust.

Quote Originally Posted by VOODOO View Post
    Check that CAT, bet it broke off and is lodged in the exhaust.
    would that being causing a bunch of oil to be clogged up in the cylinders ( also a decent amount of smoke when running?) the guy said the D plate in it

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by hfthe3rd View Post
    would that being causing a bunch of oil to be clogged up in the cylinders ( also a decent amount of smoke when running?) the guy said the D plate in it
    To answer this question.... no.

With an 8 year old boat you must go through the routine maintanence first.

1. Get some fresh plugs. NGK BR8ES-11 gapped at .045

2. Clean the power valves by removeing the caps and getting all of the sludge out. Make sure that they open freely. They should cycle open and closed every time you shut the boat off. Valves that do not travel all the way up will keep your top end speed down. That oil leaking from the valve is a good indication that all your valves need some TLC.

3. Get a fresh fuel filter.

4. Check the wear ring for excessive clearences. If it still has the stock impeller, then chances are that the wear ring is bad. Also check your stator veins on you pump. A worn out stator will usually have a chunk of one of the veins missing at the 7:00 position.

5. Consider going premix as the oil lines after so many years have a tendency to pop off. If this happens, you will loose lubrication on that cylinder and have a really bad day. If you still want to stay with the oil injection, the at least double tie wrap the oil lines.

These are typical issues on a GPR, and I recommend that you address each one of them.... especially the oil lines.

Quote Originally Posted by salty View Post
    To answer this question.... no.

With an 8 year old boat you must go through the routine maintanence first.

1. Get some fresh plugs. NGK BR8ES-11 gapped at .45

2. Clean the power valves by removeing the caps and getting all of the sludge out. Make sure that they open freely. They should cycle open and closed every time you shut the boat off. Valves that do not travel all the way up will keep your top end speed down. That oil leaking from the valve is a good indication that all your valves need some TLC.

3. Get a fresh fuel filter.

4. Check the wear ring for excessive clearences. If it still has the stock impeller, then chances are that the wear ring is bad. Also check your stator veins on you pump. A worn out stator will usually have a chunk of one of the veins missing at the 7:00 position.

5. Consider going premix as the oil lines after so many years have a tendency to pop off. If this happens, you will loose lubrication on that cylinder and have a really bad day. If you still want to stay with the oil injection, the at least double tie wrap the oil lines.

These are typical issues on a GPR, and I recommend that you address each one of them.... especially the oil lines.

thanks man for a start.I also will check the exhaust, cat...i will check those power valves asap espically since you stated that could be good reason why the oil is going everywhere.

Gainesville, Ga.. Lake Lanier ....... 2006 FXHO Cruiser
    Quote Originally Posted by hfthe3rd View Post
    If it has a "D" plate then the catalitic converter has been removed......IF!!!

A clue would be if the resistor is installed...it is about the size of a sugar cube.

Bill

Thread Information