Thread: any advice?

any advice?

I'm looking to purchase a new 4stroke, the entry level skis, all the others are out of my budget. I have now a 97 spx785, love it but want something to handle the chop better. so I've narrowed it down to GTI, StX, VX, and the AquaTrax F-12X. does anyone have ridding experience and input that they can share? I do want something thats somewhat playful but acceleration and speed are what i'm after. I've ridden the honda and its ok but really want input. gauges, boarding step, mirros,etc are not worth spending more on imo.thanks.60-65 mph would be nice if it involved minor mods during the second year.thanks

+1
    o.k. you posted in 3 diffrent manufactuer sections and you will get all diffrent opinions.so here goes
    1 kawi 15 f good reliable boat
    2 ultra 260 x or lx best boat i have ridden in the chop but with all forced induction higher maintinance.
    3 12 f if you can find one with low hours they are pretty much bomb proof and with mods you will be in the 60s.
    ride them all good luck

actually I posted in 4 mnfgs sections on two different forums. I want to gather as much info as possible. some people may be biased as to brand. I want new will not settle for used. I think Ocean County Motorsports has a few f12 turbos, my friend just purchased 2 back in may

+1
    i rode a few hondas and i can see the loyalty of the brand it just was not for me.someone told me that watercraft wer like wives what might work for someone might not work for you.well anyways happy hunting.

Ultras. Awesome skis!! The N/A ultra is a good ski but the 15f will result in more speed with mods for sure. Depends on your riding, the 15f is gonna be funner than a ultra N/A but not if you ride on busy/choppy waterways than id say ultra N/A.

+1

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by jersey785 View Post
    I've narrowed it down to GTI, StX, VX, and the AquaTrax F-12X. I do want something thats somewhat playful but acceleration and speed are what i'm after.
    I think you can make the best decision when informed of the facts...
    The folowing information comes directly out of PWC magazine's comparison shootout of entry-level craft:

The STX-15F will out-accelerate and outrun all of the boats you listed (yes, even the Honda Turbo); all while getting BETTER gas milage than all accept the VX. It's also the cheapest (got my '08 new for $7100)

STX-15F:
    0-30 in 1.9 seconds (about the same as MotorTrend test for 2006 Dodge Viper SRT10)
    8 mpg @ 40 mph
    5+ mpg @ WOT(61-62mph stock)
    Lightest boat out of all the ones you listed (745lbs)
    The STX hull has won many many offshore races; good in the rough water.

Now what I've observed as an owner:
    My ski stock KILLS honda turbo's
    Great gas mileage
    Diesel-like torque (I've pulled 3 wakeboarders at once)
    Very reliable
    A few lite mods gets you to 67mph
    Oh, and did I mention that you can get a new one cheaper that all the other models you listed

The VX is inexpensive, smoothe, and slow. GREAT mileage, poor acceleration.

The Honda Turbo has power, but it comes with unacceptably dull turbo lag , also more expensive, and less than great gas mileage, also heavier dry weight.

The GTI 155 actually is pretty good, however, according to boattest.com it's top speed is only 55mph and 0-30 is 3.0 seconds

STX-15F: Better acceleration, gas mileage, top end, Price, rough water handling.

I hope this helps you make an informed decision. Good Luck!

I agree that you need to assess your water conditions. If you are on smoother water with some occassional chop - 15F all the way. I love mine. And the others are right - a few mods and you are in the 65-67 mph category with all the benefits of a N/A motor. Superchargers sure do sound cool though - I can't say I don't wish my ski had a blower whine going on under the hood sometimes...

Thread Information