Impeller boot / 7750 RPM's

Please see the attached photo of my 2004 RXP impeller boot. From reviewing other threads regarding this it is not normal and should be repaired before it takes out the carbon seal... Mine has moved up about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch...

The engine was replaced 5 hours ago by local dealership (under warranty). I noticed a odd zinging noise coming from the pump area when making tight turns and I am not sure if this has something to do with it or not (it seemed inconsistent), I spin about 7770-7750 rpm, where as an RXT on same water same day & time was making 8050-8100 all day long. I have checked sc slip it is at 112 inch lbs, oil level is fine, and it does have the knock sensor pigtail. There also is some slight black lines from the carbon seal area but nothing too bad…

Mods are - free mods, Riva grate, grate girdle, 2 degree pump wedge, Riva trim rod, RE block offs.

Any advice regarding this would be greatly appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	impeller boot.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	82.5 KB 
ID:	206066  

Yes, that should be screwed into the back of the prop.

So generally speaking this is broken i.e. threads are gone... Couple of questions

1. I noticed you have a Speedfreaks nose cone, I am assuming this is the same as what I am referencing as an "Impeller boot" correct?
    2. Does replacing this require removing the impeller or a special impeller tool?
    3. What is the difference between a stock one (nose cone, impeller boot) and aftermarket?
    4. Would this cause cavitation and any rpm loss?

Quote Originally Posted by DDay View Post
    So generally speaking this is broken i.e. threads are gone... Couple of questions

1. I noticed you have a Speedfreaks nose cone, I am assuming this is the same as what I am referencing as an "Impeller boot" correct? Yes
    2. Does replacing this require removing the impeller or a special impeller tool? No
    3. What is the difference between a stock one (nose cone, impeller boot) and aftermarket? The stock one is rubber, so I doubt the threads are stripped. It probably just unscrewed. I run a Speedfreaks because I have an aftermarket impeller, and aftermarket impellers seem to have a problem with keeping the nose cone on. I had heard good things about the Speedfreaks cone and no one having any issues with it coming unscrewed. There are also many people that run no nose cone because it is claimed to give you a little more RPM's. The Speedfreaks cone is very small, it is probably as close to no nose cone as you can get. Speedfreaks also claim a small speed increase, but I did multiple mods at the same time so I cannot confirm or deny that part. All those reasons, and the fact that it is only $30, I decided it was worth it. I have had no issues with it.
    4. Would this cause cavitation and any rpm loss? Yes.
    The nose cone can actually ride up the shaft and put pressure on the carbon ring, which will cause it to fail prematurely.

Are you still running a stock impeller?

Yes stock impeller.
    Do you also think this may be the mystery zinging noise I heard as well?
    Would you recommend installing an aftermarket unit, re-install the old stock one or replace with new stock one?
    What makes these come loose? Please don’t say misalignment as the engine was just replaced by dealer and I am sure it will be battle with them to check the alignment because I am sure they did and it was fine checks in the mail, everything’s fine, etc etc etc...

You hear a noise when you turn; how many hours on your ski? I see you said the motor was replaced 5 hours about, but how many total hours?

total hours are 63.3

Quote Originally Posted by DDay View Post
    total hours are 63.3
    I was getting a weird noise at cruising. Like a metal noise coming from the bottom of the ski. I pulled the pump of and found water in it. Getting it rebuilt on Fri. My ski has 111 hours though.

Sorry for the dumb question but wat do you mean by pump?

Thread Information