Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    +1

RR One Piece Drive Shaft Bearing

I'm looking for some advice from any of you who have used the RR one piece drive shaft bearing. My first time out with it and the stock accordian boot resulted in sinking my ski. I got some 2 inch rigid hose and cut it about an inch longer than the stock boot. It appeared to be a good fit because you could feel the clamp lower than the lip on the rear of the bearing. I ran it for about 5 hours, and it did not come out. But it had moved and was about to come out again. So I need another fix.

I was thinking about grinding the outer diameter down a little bit right in front of the lip to create more of a "valley" for the clamp to fit into (i.e. make the lip a little more pronounced). How thick is the casing? I don't want to ruin it by grinding too much. What about maybe dremeling some notches in the casing to prevent it from slipping out of the hose? Any other thoughts?

+1
    Franko,
    I'd like to see it. Maybe pictures would help come up with some ideas for you?

+1
    Mark, yeah, I need to post a pic. It's hard to describe. But it is basically a bearing inside a metal casing that replaces the stock floating ring and c-clip. You insert it in the boot (or hose) that the drive shaft goes through. It tends to slip out (I guess because the metal casing is slick and the water pressure pushes it out). When it slips (toward the engine), the ski becomes a submarine in a matter of seconds.

+1
    I'm not at home to take a pic, but how about a drawing
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bearing.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	10.6 KB 
ID:	9246  

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    driveshaft seal from rotax racing
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	driveshaft seal.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	18.2 KB 
ID:	9247  
    Last edited by Shibby1485; 10-09-2006 at 11:21 AM.

+1
    Thanks Shibby. What, you don't think my drawing was detailed enough?

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    hahaha, na it's good

i tell you what i would like to see done and I would then be sold on one of these.... the driveshaft is machined down to accomodate the small diameter of the bearing opening.... i'd like to see the lip on the shaft that stops the bearing be like 3/4" away from the PTO opening on the block..

as it is now, the bearing slides and stops all the way down closer to the pump support shoe area... u need to use a 3" rigid hose or the accordian boot to secure it... now picture in your mind the bearing seal being way down closer to the motor, maybe a 3/4" space between the seal bearing and the PTO.. now you get a heavy duty hose from a serious truck application and use that cut to desired length. now IF the bearing was to even think about slipping out, it could only move 3/4" before it bottoms out and hits the PTO housing and you'd never have to worry about total failure/submarining.

otherwise, i'd be grooving the heck out of the outter shell of the bearing to make it all rough like a cheese grader, and then use something other than the accordian boot that will crush down on that and grab all the ridges on the bearing housing...

how does the 95XP bearing stay in place, how is it secured? same principle same design...

+1
    Shibby, I moved it closer to the PTO cover like you are talking about. I'd say it is probably an inch from the bearing coming out of the PTO cover. The rubber cover from the PTO actually covers the front part of the bearing.

The hose I used is very rigid. I used 2" because it made for a tighter fit. But maybe a 3" hose would decrease the water pressure a little???

Any idea on how thick the steel casing is? I want to cut some grooves, but I don't want to cut too deep.

+1
    It needs the accordian style boot it also needs the grease fitting took out and a 90 degree grease fitting put on the front.
    It also needs little grooves turned into the outside so the rubber can bite.

+1
    Don't forget the cover over the front grease seal.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information