95' SLX 780 MFD Dead- Can I bypass it?

I have a SLX 780 that surprisingly enough is a quick boat. I like it alot but just recently it started to spontaneously bog and cut out until I feather the throttle for a while then it would come back to life and be fine the rest of the day. Yesterday when I had it on the trailer the MFD was showing everything fine but it was bogging when i started it and then the red light was constantly blinking even after the boat was off for a while. didnt shut off until i pushed the set button.

Anyhow today I went back out to start it to see if it was still messed up and the MFD had the clock on like normal until i started it and now its a blank display. cant get it to show anything. I think it has been sending the boat into limp mode b/c the red light would blink sometimes for no real reason. Also the air tube the plugs into the back of the MFD, is that suppost to lead just to the bottom of the hull and plug into nothing? Thats how mine is...

Anyway- Moral of this long explanation is, is it possible to just get rid of the MFD and be a normal simple 2 stroke jetski without all the hassles?

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Sure you can eliminate the MFD. but something is causing the light to come on. Fuel float going bad, oil level low, or temp sensor reading hot.

You're better off trying to find and fix the problem.

Otherwise you'll never know your speed. How much fuel you have (not good since the SLX doesn't have reserve)

If you're overheating. If you're not charging. Or what your RPM is.

Your speedo tube should hook onto the pitot under the driveshaft. If it isn't hooked up, your getting water inside your hull and most likely splashing it around with the driveshaft .

Check your 1/4 amp fuse inside the elec box to see if that will display the MFD.

Remove your thermostat if you still have it installed.

Get a replacement float for the fuel sender if that's reading low fuel even though you have a full tank.

had the ski fired up and its back firing and just running bad on/off. the rear cylinder is cooler then the front two.... seems like something electrical... any possible idea's?

+1
    Try clipping 1/4" off the spark plug wires and see if that helps.

Ohm test the coils

thanks i will try that, i have a multi meter but dont know how to use it. how would i check the coil?

+1
    Post #6 will help.

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...lectrical-Fuji

Multi meter must be set to ohms. (horse shoe looking symbol)

I have the same jetski only my display is half gone. the letters are all messed up and you cant see the gauges. Do you know where can I get a new one?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by CodySLX View Post
    I have the same jetski only my display is half gone. the letters are all messed up and you cant see the gauges. Do you know where can I get a new one?
    Often the MFD display can be repaired.

Click below for the MFD link

Thread Information