Throttle Sticking

The last time I took out my STX12F I having some throttle problems. A couple times when coming off of heavy throttle, the throttle body linkage did not snap all the way back to the idle screw, keeping it at about 4500-5000 rpms. At which point I killed the engine , took off the seat and pushed the throttle linkage back against the idle screw. After this the linkage would work fine.

The other problem I was having would also occur when I came off heavy throttle and then got back on to it, the engine would stutter or miss for a couple seconds and then rev up normally.

Any thoughts on what would cause this? Thanks.

Take the time to smile sirbreaksalot's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by STX12 View Post
    The last time I took out my STX12F I having some throttle problems. A couple times when coming off of heavy throttle, the throttle body linkage did not snap all the way back to the idle screw, keeping it at about 4500-5000 rpms. At which point I killed the engine , took off the seat and pushed the throttle linkage back against the idle screw. After this the linkage would work fine.

The other problem I was having would also occur when I came off heavy throttle and then got back on to it, the engine would stutter or miss for a couple seconds and then rev up normally.

Any thoughts on what would cause this? Thanks.
    as for the THROTTLE sticking problem
    remove the cable from the Throttle body and ensure it moves freely and returns correctly , if so then REPLACE the throttle cable!!

as for the spluttering best place to start would be the spark plugs
    ( how old are they , have YOU changed them, also remember to lube the threads when installing new plugs )

Waz

Might be the butterfly valve in the throttle body sticking into carbon deposits located on the side closest to the intake valves. You need to remove the throttle body for inspection. If the machine has low time don't bother looking as it will be clean.

The ski has 60 hours on it and the spark plugs have about 12 hours on them. I am going to pick up a new set of plugs today.

I have checked the throttle cable and it seems to work fine. I have been unable to replicate the sticking problem with the ski on the trailer.

Take the time to smile sirbreaksalot's Avatar
    +1
    check to ensure that the cable is not getting caught up when turning,
    also check to see that the throttle lever on the bars has not slipped around and gets jammed

Thread Information