Come to the dark side... We have COOKIES! flyman's Avatar

installing yamaha 1100 crank in an 98 xl1200

So i have read plenty and search everything here. and one of the recommendations is to stick an 1100 crank in a 1200. because the mag side bearing on the 1100 crank was longer and more stout. did i read it wrong? Anyway... i had to relocate the pin in the crankcase to new hole position on the 1100 crank bearing. Well guess what. The crank was binding when i did first initial torque. Its a hot rods crank. and well yes the crank went through the packaging and hit the snout on mag side. nothing visible im just guessing it was enough to throw it out of alignment. so..... I sent it to a local mechanic who works on jetskis in santa clarita. and he says the reason its binding is because im trying to put an 1100 crank in 1200 cases. Arent the cases the same? excet for the 1 pin. or does this guy not know what he doing or is it the other way around??

Unhappy anyone?

ideas?

and how long does it take to straightrn a crank and port some cylinders? so far 2 months.

+1
    The pins are in a diiferent location on the two cranks, you could grind a groove in the bearing shell so the pin fits in place.

pin location

I pulled the one pin that didnt line up on the mag side, re drilled the case for the new pin location, and the crank drop right in. There was no gap in the case halfs when i did first initial torque. but then i get binding, leading me to believe the crank was not straight. because there was a hole in the hotrods box in shipping. Now this guy says one of the rods is bent. on a new crank? I dunno. i think im going for a ride.

Unhappy

Well summer has come and gone. and i still dont have my crank. I dont think i will ever try and rebuild another engine. too much hassel. Maybe by christmas i will have my crank.

+1
    Hate to say it but there have been a lot of bad hot rod crank stories.1100 and 1200 cases are the same other than the pulse fitings.Front crank bearing is diferent 1100 is slightly longer and does not use the spacer the 1200 crank uses.I need a front bearing for a extra crank I have if anyone has one for a good price let me know what you have.1100 or 1200 works for me.After osidebills crank episodes I would stay away from hot rods.

Finally got the crank straightened out. Was missing the collar on the drive end. Had one machined up. Finally got crank installed and torqued. Finally spins free. Look out summer! Here I come!!!!!!!

lol good for you ! I run both an 1100 and 1200 Hotrods crank in my 1200's no issues at all and they checked out way inside specs

Thread Information