Thread: rebuild options

rebuild options

I have a 2001 gp1200r and recently had the oil line come off resulting in the rear cylinder lost. I am getting a new cylinder but my question is if I should get just one new piston or go ahead and do all three? The front cylinder still had good compression and the middle was ok too. It got taken apart before I could check the compression with a gauge so I'm not sure what the exact numbers were. Just wanting to keep the rebuild as simple and economical as possible. Thanks

I think that you might have answered your own question with as "economical as possible". I think that if you're going for the cheapest option, just replacing the piston and cylinder jug (assuming that's all that is damaged) would be the cheapest, if you're doing the work yourself. If you're going to pay someone to do it, that might be a different story because of the cost of labor.

I am doing it myself. Nothing else is damaged. I just want to make sure that the compression wouldnt be too different on each cylinder.

In mine, I also lost the 3rd piston/cylinder. I pulled the engine and cracked the case because are piston fragments all over the crank. My plan is to replace the cylinder jug, piston, and any gasket that I pulled as part of this effort.

I guess that if the compression seemed to be decent before you started tearing into it, I would probably take a look at the other pistons & cylinders for scoring, scratches, damage, etc. That could give you an idea whether or not you would want to replace the rest of the top end. Good luck!

I pretty much have the same thing going on. Where would be the best place to get a piston and cylinder? #3 cylinder

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0719101704b.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	102.3 KB 
ID:	206373Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0719101702a.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	59.2 KB 
ID:	206374Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0719101703b.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	74.8 KB 
ID:	206375Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0719101701b.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	52.3 KB 
ID:	206376

the other cylinders are fine and the burned up piston is still in one peice, just scored up pretty badly. Im hoping to just be able to get one new cylinder and piston. I'll try it out and if it aint right I'll do all 3.

+1
    I would recomend replacing the other two pistons and rings while your at it.

It depends how good the compression is. How many hours on the good pistons? What are thier compression numbers now vs new? Might as well do them now if you are due. If machine has under 100 hours I would probably leave them be.

Does anyone know if the pistons & cylinders are interchangeable? For example, can I take a cylinder that was used on one WaveRunner in the #1 position (closest to the flywheel), can I use that on another engine in the #3 cylinder/piston position?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Shogun2 View Post
    Does anyone know if the pistons & cylinders are interchangeable? For example, can I take a cylinder that was used on one WaveRunner in the #1 position (closest to the flywheel), can I use that on another engine in the #3 cylinder/piston position?
    Each cylinder has a number on the top of the cylinder mine has 10 so I can use a 8 or a 10 in any position on the motor. Not sure on what other numbers work for what but they can all be moved in any position. And if it were my ski and I had the motor out I would AT LEAST split the cases and clean all the crap out from the blown cylinder. Then replace all three pistons and rings.

Thread Information