Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question about 96 sl780 fuel delivery system...

Ok, I know I have the mikuni tripple output fuel pump... do I have a fuel filter in the line somewhere? Also regarding the fuel shut-off switch.. what is it's purpose and when should you use it? I seen somewhere on PWCtoday, I belive ph2ocraft had a diagram of his fuel system on his 750 and it appears as the shut-off switch is used to switch from reserve to main fuel lines? ... is it really a reserve switch? Also do I have a fuel auto-cock?

Just wondering if I should bypass the fuel shutoff switch or what, I would like to have a reserve switch like most PWC... any input would be much appreciated...

Ride Mohave To Havasu. Live In Los Angeles.
    You only have on or off because you have the low fuel limp mode. The 750 didn't have limp mode so it had reserve. No auto cock on the 780. Only the 92 and 93 models had it and they were to be removed per a Polaris Technical Service Bulletin. I personally bypass my fuel selector. They are known to twist internally and restricting fuel which leads to a seizure. Most are fine but I bypass mine because you never know.

Great, so just get a coupler from autozone and couple the two hoses coming from it together? would the coupler be restrictive? I've always been interested to know when one would even use the fuel switch? I know I never do... Oh yeah.. I did replace my fuel sender...and I am really unsure if I replaced the hoses to the sender correctly.. how can I tell? There are three black hoses that go to it.. one I know is a vent, I think I verified that was correct but there were two others... is there just two pickups then that don't matter?

Jared

auto cock was 93 94 95 they did not have it on the 92 and figured out that they f u k d up at 96 lol luckily the 780 has the great 3 outlet hv pentagon pump ! Thanks for the Tip SeaLion I always wondered why the shut off valves went south! Z
    Last edited by ZMANN; 10-09-2006 at 09:36 PM.

So, for bypassing, just couple the lines together? I'll stop by autozone tommorrow if this is the case and get a coupler...

Jared

Ride Mohave To Havasu. Live In Los Angeles.
    I just ran a new line from the tank to the fuel pumps ( I have Pro 785 carbs so they run 2 fuel pumps). I guess you can just use a coupler. You should have only 1 pick up in the tank. Remember you don't have reserve. The other line is a vent and the final line is a fuel return line from the carb rack. You'll know real quick if the return and fuel are reversed. It won't run.

hi i have a 1999 gp800..and i recently did a premix mod on it so in the process i thought i'd do away with the fuel selector switch.. i have "ON/OFF/reserve" there are 2 lines coming out my tank for fuel out, one has reserve labeled on it, the other has on labeled and they both go into the selector switch and 1 outlet that goes to a fuel filter. my question is, i "T'" them off and when my fuel warning beep came on. i should have 2.7 gallons left and it should suck it out of my reserve line right? umm wrong... it just died out after like 20 minutes and i still had fuel left... seems that wen the fuel got lower then the top or on fuel line that let air in it and broke the vacumm to the reserve line that's hooked up to the same "T" fitting. did you guys have any problems using the t'ing off method?

I dont think just putting a T between the reserve and main tank would work. It uses pressure to pull the fuel in the line so if the main line is runs dry then it pulls air it wont pull fuel fron the reserve if there is air.

Air is easier to pull in than liquid leaving you stuck in the middle with 2.7 gal in the tank still.

I think these skis are set up to have a longer hose and shorter hose. Longer for reserve. So if you just ran your reserve line all the time you will still get the warning and not have to switch over. Can anyone back this up?

Quote Originally Posted by gp800 View Post
    hi i have a 1999 gp800..and i recently did a premix mod on it so in the process i thought i'd do away with the fuel selector switch.. i have "ON/OFF/reserve" there are 2 lines coming out my tank for fuel out, one has reserve labeled on it, the other has on labeled and they both go into the selector switch and 1 outlet that goes to a fuel filter. my question is, i "T'" them off and when my fuel warning beep came on. i should have 2.7 gallons left and it should suck it out of my reserve line right? umm wrong... it just died out after like 20 minutes and i still had fuel left... seems that wen the fuel got lower then the top or on fuel line that let air in it and broke the vacumm to the reserve line that's hooked up to the same "T" fitting. did you guys have any problems using the t'ing off method?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by SpectraBrite View Post
    I dont think just putting a T between the reserve and main tank would work. It uses pressure to pull the fuel in the line so if the main line is runs dry then it pulls air it wont pull fuel fron the reserve if there is air.

Air is easier to pull in than liquid leaving you stuck in the middle with 2.7 gal in the tank still.

I think these skis are set up to have a longer hose and shorter hose. Longer for reserve. So if you just ran your reserve line all the time you will still get the warning and not have to switch over. Can anyone back this up?
    Backed up.....

97 slt 780 .... so i'm confused as to why the on/off fuel switch is a bad thing, and why i should just run a new line direct and bypass that? (i blew it out with air and it seems pretty clear). should any shutoff at all be used?

also, do i need to put in a fuel filter in-line, or is the mesh grill in the water separator all i need?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information