Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Red face noob with a 1997 GP 1200 with a few performance mods

Hi there boy am i glad to have found this site.
    i just purchased a used and in need of some repair 1997 GS 1200
    havent totaly started ripping into it as yet. Guy i bought it from said it had a few performance mods on it. But it has no spark from what little ive done it seems that the cdi box could be the cause as the strator all tests within specs according to the manual.
    What ii was wanting to know was exactly how modded this thing is.
    so ive included a few pictures.
    payed the guy $600 for the ski and trailer and i think i got a total deal.
    engine was frozen from sitting up but ive gotten it free and is rotating like butter now. not bought anything for it yet needs a battery. and some tlc before i crank that engine.
    tbh i was just looking for something to play around with on the lake with the kids.
    and i can see from looking this thing has air, carbs, intake, heads, cylinder, and triple exhaust, cdi and steering all aftermarket looks like a after market ride plate and grill but i dont know enough to be sure so is this thing a monster or just slightly moded ski and is it worth my time to get it running or better to part out and get something a little more tame ?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0301.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	99.9 KB 
ID:	206358Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0296.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	105.9 KB 
ID:	206364Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0300.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	80.1 KB 
ID:	206359Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0309.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	101.1 KB 
ID:	206362Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0299.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	81.0 KB 
ID:	206360Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0314.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	85.7 KB 
ID:	206361Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0311.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	103.1 KB 
ID:	206363Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0310.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	106.9 KB 
ID:	206357
    p.s missing exhaust parts i have just removed them to get at the strator

Wow that looks like a steal! Hope it's got a good crank and good compression, if so you got yourself a real deal there.

my GP760 recently had some spark issues. Turned out to be bad wire ends, might be something to watch for though i doubt it's your current problem

+1
    Wow....Riva cylinders, Buckshot carbs, Riva head....RIva cdi....you got a smoking deal.....IMO. You will need a set of pipes and or drop to a single pipe..since it looks like your missing 2? I have a single pipe for the 1200 if you go that route. Great buy....I also have a stock CDI if your Riva one is dead.

M

ok cool i kinda figured i had gotten a real steal of a price as i started digging in the engine bay and then browsing around sites ski also has riva sponsons and U.M.I steering but as i said im a total noob when it comes to jetskis so im not so sure what it all adds upto. my uneducated opinion was it was a heavly modded jetski.
    as for the exhaust i have the two missing sections i just removed them so i could get the flywheel cover off and test the coils ( they all tested fine ).

Story on the jetski as i was told was it was built for a guy by a friend and during testing the hole for the oil pump was left open, water got in the hole and the the jetski lost spark while out on the lake. guy who owned the bike was mad tryed to have friend pay for fixing big fall out bike just sat there as guy knew nothing about fixing him self. person i bought it off bought it for $600 while buying a horse trailer. had it for 6 months wife wanted it fixed or gone he didnt have time so put it on craigslist where i bought it from.
    looks like he did little more than poke around and disconnect a few things in the time he had it. dont think he knew how modded it was just wanted his $600 back he payed and got it to go to someone whp had the ability to fix it them selfs.
    i saw it and i was umm project ok then he poped the seat and i was like yeah that doesnt look like a stock head so i figured id take a shot. most of the riva stuff i could find info on the carbs ive no clue couldnt find anything on them but seems someone recognises them. any good?
    the intake manifold is also stamped riva im guessing larger ports and polished? whats the difference in a riva cylinder? from a stock. over bore?

well as the coils all test within tolerance im assuming the CDI would be the next on the list for probable cause but i will be checking the spark leads aswell
    tryed to test my stock cdi that came with the jetski aswell but my meter only does 2K ohms reading and they wanted 1K so i couldnt tell if it was my meter of the cdi that was throwing me wierd numbers is there a way to test the riva cdi ?
    sorry if the questions seem stupid im a week into jetskis and the ski has more mods than i can shake a stick at so im just trying to learn any help would be appreciated point me in the right direction and ill try not to act too retarded

Nice ski. Ran that whole setup about 2 or 3 years ago. Ran good.

+1
    Where are you located it?
    Quote Originally Posted by fr1day View Post
    ok cool i kinda figured i had gotten a real steal of a price as i started digging in the engine bay and then browsing around sites ski also has riva sponsons and U.M.I steering but as i said im a total noob when it comes to jetskis so im not so sure what it all adds upto. my uneducated opinion was it was a heavly modded jetski.
    as for the exhaust i have the two missing sections i just removed them so i could get the flywheel cover off and test the coils ( they all tested fine ).

Story on the jetski as i was told was it was built for a guy by a friend and during testing the hole for the oil pump was left open, water got in the hole and the the jetski lost spark while out on the lake. guy who owned the bike was mad tryed to have friend pay for fixing big fall out bike just sat there as guy knew nothing about fixing him self. person i bought it off bought it for $600 while buying a horse trailer. had it for 6 months wife wanted it fixed or gone he didnt have time so put it on craigslist where i bought it from.
    looks like he did little more than poke around and disconnect a few things in the time he had it. dont think he knew how modded it was just wanted his $600 back he payed and got it to go to someone whp had the ability to fix it them selfs.
    i saw it and i was umm project ok then he poped the seat and i was like yeah that doesnt look like a stock head so i figured id take a shot. most of the riva stuff i could find info on the carbs ive no clue couldnt find anything on them but seems someone recognises them. any good?
    the intake manifold is also stamped riva im guessing larger ports and polished? whats the difference in a riva cylinder? from a stock. over bore?

well as the coils all test within tolerance im assuming the CDI would be the next on the list for probable cause but i will be checking the spark leads aswell
    tryed to test my stock cdi that came with the jetski aswell but my meter only does 2K ohms reading and they wanted 1K so i couldnt tell if it was my meter of the cdi that was throwing me wierd numbers is there a way to test the riva cdi ?
    sorry if the questions seem stupid im a week into jetskis and the ski has more mods than i can shake a stick at so im just trying to learn any help would be appreciated point me in the right direction and ill try not to act too retarded

+1
    what a steal. Riva intake as well. Just the bolt on parts alone are worth more than you paid. Good luck with it.

well thanks for the replys so far good to know my instinct was right about the aftermarket parts.
    how reliable are jetskis this modded? lots of constant adjusting and tweeking or much more drop it in and go ? i might be inclined to just sell this one off for the parts and get something a little more stock since im in quite deep. thoughts?
    im located just south of fort worth tx.

+1
    From what I read, the triple pipe (exhaust) takes alot more tweaking time as it is alot more susceptible to weather changes.

Nothing like getting air, while sitting in a chair VonnerNIX's Avatar
    Wow, that's a helluva deal! Definitely worth way more than you paid for it. Just a little TLC and you got yourself I pretty nice ski.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information