Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

+1

2010 Kawasaki Ultra260X-Won't Start- 4 hours on the meter

I thought I might get some insight, since the dealer was absolutely no help.
    Engine cranks won't turn over, so before I figure out how to get it off the jetport, over to the ramp, onto my trailer and drive 95 miles back to the dealer, is there anything I can try?

Fuel: Full 93 Octane Shell
    Lanyard: In place
    Smart key: Inserted

Went back and read the troubleshooting guide and one possibility that the service tech from the dealer didn't mention was pressure in the fuel tank. He was reluctant to trobleshoot and went right to the ECU.Is there anything I can try? I will be going back tomorrow and trying again opening the fuel cap before starting. It ws hard to start last week, but did tuen over.

Thanks.

Take the time to smile sirbreaksalot's Avatar
    +1
    please explain better

does the engine crank over when u push the starter button, and just not fire up ?

cause your explanation is alittle cloudy when u say ENGINE CRANKS WONT TURN OVER ?
    when u push the start button can you hear the fuel pump prime up ( easier to hear with seat off it a hissing noise when you push the starter button for a second

Waz

+1
    Cool pic. Yeah sorry the engine cranks when I press the starter button but doesn't fire up. I didn't really notice a hissing. I'll check for that tomorrow morning when I try again.

Thanks,

Greg

+1
    has it got spark when you crank it? is the battery fully charged? are there any messages on the dash? does it beep when you insert the key? does it recognise both keys?

+1
    I didn't pull a plug to check for spark
    I didn't check the battery charge.
    No messages.
    Yes it beeps.
    Yes, both keys are recognized.

+1
    I don't have a 260 but it is possible that the battery could have just enough charge to turn the engine over but not enough amps to charge the fuel pump or enough of a spark or hot enough of a spark. I have seen it in cars and bikes. Check the battery charge and see where that is. Sounds like a charging system issue. I don't recomend you hook battery cables up to the car and attempt to jump start it. The end result of that is pretty spectular and diasterous.

+1
    Thanks. I wasn't thinking a battery issue, but I'll check that as well. It looks like a day off from work troubleshooting my brand new JetSki. I'll check the battery and pressure in the tank, priming of the fuel pump, spark by pulling a plug and ground it to the engine?
    Thanks for all of the ideas. Anything else?

Thanks,

Greg

Do not give it any throttle! Hit the start button for just a second.

+1
    Just a second? It should fire that quickly? I'm beginning to think the battery more and more.

Correct. Your Batt is new and should be strong. My 09 had the same thing at 4 hours also. If it does not start right away and you keep laying on that start button you are getting the plugs "wet". If you are in the water:
    1. No throttle
    2. Hit the start button for a second and release.
    3. Boat should fire right up, still give it no throttle for a few seconds or so
    4. then ride away normally
    - if the boat will still not start let it sit for a minute or so, then repeat

If the boat is out of the water, same process 1 thru 4 above. At 10 hours I would replace the Spark Plugs. And put some grease on the Spark Plug threads. Not a ton of grease . . . Replace Plugs at 50 hour intervals thereafter.

Keep an eye on the oil level on this boat. Never let the oil level get higher than half way up the Dipstick (cold side when boat is cold). the boat should be level. Take multiple Dipstick readings until you get 3 readings the same. Your first reading will not be accurate. And, change the oil at 10 hours. Then about every 20 hours thereafter.

You may find like me that at about 10 hours this will go away and the boat will be easier to start. Thats enuff for now . . . welcome to the world of Artificially Aspirtated Jet Skis; you are one of us now. This will soon be your most visited site on your Computer! Welcome. JB

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information