Talking Yamaha SHO Cruiser vs RXT-X 260 to purchase advice

I am trying to decide between a RXT-X 260 and a Yamaha SHO cruiser ASAP. I need 3 people, towing and fastest on the inland lake is my criteria. Does anyone have any un-biased feedback of which one is really better? I like the brake on the Sea Doo, but the Yamaha has cruise control. The videos I find show the Yam beat the RXT in all tests, but I don't know who truly sponsored the test. Any advice is appreciated. This is not our first PWC, so we are experienced as a family.

I was in the same boat Very happy with my SHO
    I looked at the long term Yamaha is much better then Seadoo
    I tryed the brake on my friends 260 i didnt like it at all you have no control ( sterring once you hit it)
    I beat my buddy all the time we are both stock I hit just over 68 on the gps he hits 62.? plus yamaha runs on reg gas not the 260 only prem gas
    The sho loves gas but its a fast toy
    The seats on the sho GREAT the wife and kids love them
    Mike

thanks, that is exactly the kind of info I am looking for

+1
    Is that the RXT 26O that goes fo close to 15-16000, what a joke!.Who needs all those bells and whistles brakes ,suspension, reverse maybe, cruise assist maybe, telescopic handlebars best new pwc feature.Knock 3G off that ski, you put your own modified goodies on.When those stand ups at PWCTODAY say "couch" now I know what they mean

Dave - the iS ski's are not a joke. The GPR is a great ski when ridden in water pictured in your avatar, but take it from me - someone who has owned two GPRs and still has a triple piped superstock carbon fiber GPR, when you ride in the ocean, the iS will kick the GPRs butt all day long...take one for a ride when you get a chance. I guarentee you will surprised...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by RayinJapan View Post
    Dave - the iS ski's are not a joke. The GPR is a great ski when ridden in water pictured in your avatar, but take it from me - someone who has owned two GPRs and still has a triple piped superstock carbon fiber GPR, when you ride in the ocean, the iS will kick the GPRs butt all day long...take one for a ride when you get a chance. I guarentee you will surprised...
    Huh? i'm sorry here but who's talking about the GPR here, different animal here. The gpr is terrible in the chop even with some rough water mods, but we're talking about SHO/RXT iS.The RXT is a great ski and so is the SHO, but the OPs question the ''better buy" I feel these iS features drag up the price so by the time your finished you paid for almost $18-19000 ski.If thats what he wants fine.The SHO can be made to go faster, in the chop maybe not.btw I rode both, but not the iS

I paid 8400 for my gpr new, I put 2500-3000 more for go fast mods , comfort, performance that I was able to choose ,not yamaha...

Sorry Dave - thought you were talking about your GPR...

The RXT iS is better in the chop than the SHO too. Can't speak for the RXT-X cause I don't have one but my RXT iS is faster in the chop than modified SHO's I have ran with...flat water it will eat me up all day but add rough water and I'll walk away simply because the S3 hull hooks up way better.

I have raced against my nephews FZS (stock vs stock) on glass water and my RXT iS had the better hole shot and top speed. In rough water it's no comparison...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by RayinJapan View Post
    Sorry Dave - thought you were talking about your GPR...

The RXT iS is better in the chop than the SHO too. Can't speak for the RXT-X cause I don't have one but my RXT iS is faster in the chop than modified SHO's I have ran with...flat water it will eat me up all day but add rough water and I'll walk away simply because the S3 hull hooks up way better.

I have raced against my nephews FZS (stock vs stock) on glass water and my RXT iS had the better hole shot and top speed. In rough water it's no comparison...
    Thats ok,its that these skis are getting expensive, the OP is interested in the RXT-X 260 not the RXT iS 260,about a $1000 difference ,the SHO dealer price is about $13000 .He mentions towing, both are more than qualified,I don't think speed is a priority.......If that was the case then Kawa 260x, king of the ocean

kawi 260x - king of the ocean...

After 17 years of riding/racing in the ocean and riding everything but a tigershark/honda and now owning an RXT iS, I have to disagree. The suspension on this ski is incredible and by far the best ski I've ever ridden or owned. I'm sitting in rough chop while my buds on their SHOs, HOs, GPRs, STX's and FSZs are standing. I've already spoken about the hook up...there aren't many Ultras where I live but I do look forward to testing them side by side with my iS...

You're right about the expensive part - I paid $19000 for my RXT iS with the trailer, registration etc. But the yamaha dealer wanted $21,000 for a 2010 SHO or FZS w/trailer...I could have got a 2009 FZS leftover for the same price as my RXT iS but I am glad I got the iS, especially after riding my ski and my bud's SHO back to back...I rode his SHO for about an 45 minutes in washing machine chop...even he admitted the ride on the iS is great.

Modding the iS ski's are not easy though. you have to lift the top deck which isn't hard but still not like just reaching into the ski on my GPR or my buds SHO....

thanks again for the advice...I bought the SHO cruiser and I am the king of my lake...this is a bad machine...I will be buying another PWC in about 3 months and I am going to research them all again at that time

Thread Information