Unhappy SLT not following instructions, how to tell damage done

Hi there. I am a new 1995 SLT 750 owner and recently purchased it from my boyfriend. It ran out of gas while trying to get it started (on land w/hose hooked up) to test for electrical issues because the MFD suddenly went bad and the fuse is good. A friend who is a snowmobile guru came over while my boyfriend wasn't there and realized it was out of gas and not knowing about the pwc's, apparently did everything incorrectly according to the book: hooked up hose and ran water for about 2 mins before starting engine and then ran it at maximum speed for about 4-5 minutes, then turned off engine and turned water off a minute later and then didn't flush water from engine. I finally got a hold of the book last night and was reading it to learn all about it and read several warnings in several chapters about not doing everything my friend did. I started it for a 1 second to flush the water from enginge after reading that in the book. How can we tell if damage was sustained to the engine from this (note: a new top end was put on this a couple of years ago and it was running great). Any help and advice is appreciated. Thanks!

+1
    Welcome to the Hulk.

You need to see if there is any water in the cylinders. Pull the spark plugs and turn the motor over with a rag over the holes and see if any water is in there. Report findings.

Beerdart, wow you are quick! Thanks for your reply. Will check and report findings as soon as it stops pouring rain out...

+1
    Yea pulling the plugs in the rain would be counter productive.

Sorry it took so long to get back to you. Pulled the plugs and turned over with a rag and other than rings of a little oil on the rag from the holes, they seem to not have water in them. What else should I check? I am concerned about damage from the revving at max speed for so long as well.

+1
    If it's cranking over and you're not getting water, then things are looking good. Have you taken the cover off and looked down the carbs? See if any brown gooky sh** is coughing up. If the water's all out of it, where are you at on starting it up?

Note: Keep me posted on this, as I'm doing a lot of work in Eastern Idaho and a small job in Jackson over the next month. Hence, I consider you "local" and would like to help however I can.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Take it for a ride.

Only that will show if any problems exist. Not much testing can be done on land with no load on the engine.

If you can, take another ski or boat with you to tow you back should there be a problem.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by janettis View Post
    Hi there. I am a new 1995 SLT 750 owner and recently purchased it from my boyfriend.
    Nice, The Polaris Underworld Strikes Again!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Superd2K View Post
    If it's cranking over and you're not getting water, then things are looking good. Have you taken the cover off and looked down the carbs? See if any brown gooky sh** is coughing up. If the water's all out of it, where are you at on starting it up?

Note: Keep me posted on this, as I'm doing a lot of work in Eastern Idaho and a small job in Jackson over the next month. Hence, I consider you "local" and would like to help however I can.
    I actually have looked in the carbs because I replaced the oil filter and had the arrestor off, replaced arrestor gaskets, etc...they looked good - no gooky stuff. Starts up quick when battery charged up (have a new battery on the way b/c other one not holding charge). Been starting it on land with flush kit (and doing it correctly now We did adjust the carberators because they were off, especially the middle one. We adjusted exactly according to shop manual specs and then we're going to try it out. I assume the book specs are for lower elevations and am wondering how it differs at 6200ft? Since you're in Boise, do you know about this?

Also, let me know when you're going to be around as there's nobody in the area that works on pwcs regularly here (only sled dealers). I also have a noise coming from the drive shaft and can see that it's a little wobbly. My friend I bought it from had the engine rebuilt a few years ago and then installed it himself. He said the engine alignment might not have been exact (didn't use alignent tool). Was looking at another thread started by sebas54 on here regarding that issue and will look into whether it's bent, etc.
    Thanks for your help!

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    High elevation settings for 1995 SL/SLT 750

high speed:
    MAG 3/4
    CEN 1/4
    PTO 1/2

low speed screw:
    3/4 all

Impeller 035 (polaris part # ending in)

Operating RPM 5960-5970