+1

96 SL 780 carburetor questions.

Hi, I have a project 96 SL 780. Thanks to this forums' helpful members, I manage to get the cylinder and the inpeller fix, now moving on to the carburetor.
    Ok, the carburetor look good. Is there a way to test it without opening it up? I am tryting to avoid having to replace gasket and stuff if i open it then i have to. and since the motor is out of the hull right now, I son't want to install everything back to test. because if it is not workng I have to remove the motor again to get the carb out..... please advice.

+1
    The carb? which one? theres 3 of them.lol did ya mean all 3? either they work, or they dont.. the diaphrams could be getting pinholes in them and you wouldnt see that until you held them up to a light.. if your out of cash, and the ski was running good before, unscrew the back plates where the diaphram is and check them out held up to a light,, if they look fine,your ok.. then unscrew the 2 screws in there and lift that odd shaped piece out of there, dont bust the gasket underneath it,, then theres the jets underneath that.. you can unscrew them and check that the passages are clear and the jets are clean with a light held up to them. I think there is a small filter inside the carb too. you could pop that out and clean it..

when taking out the jets, be careful you dont drop it, youll lose it for sure. then hold them up to a light and check the size of it.. it will say something like 120 on it.. write down which number is on which one. sometimes people change them out to different sizes. that would be nice to know which ones you have in there for tuning.. The smaller pilot jet has the writing on the side of it,, if you can believe it!.lol it will be a smaller number like 90.

make sure your screwdriver fits perfect in the slot to take out each jet, if you dont, you could bugger the thing and loose the slot. also, the small jet(pilot jet) is so small, you'll need another small screwdriver for that one also.. I use tweezers that fit into the jet to lift/replace it. Don't drop it or else you wont be riding this weekend!

then just check that the needle and seat move like the other 2.. dont take it out unless you know how to..

on the outside, you could take off the high speed adjuster and low speed adjuster out and clean /inspect then for being worn,chipped or broken. then if all is good and clean. put back the adjuster screws and seat them gently and unscrew then the correct amount of turns by the spec sheet for that ski and carb. should ok then..

theres no gasket for the diaphram. so no worries there, and the other gasket under that odd shaped piece usually is fine too. so that should be ok to do..

I would replace the diaphrams myself.. its a pain in the butt to get the carbs off once the motor is in.. But it can be done without taking the motor out..

+1
    I think I can manage the cleaning. it is the slow and high speed adjuster that I don't dare to touch as I am after I will have the setting off...... But like you said it will be a hell to do it after everything is install, i will start taking it apart tonight. wish me luck.....

+1
    ok, opening it up last night and everything look ok. clean and no block. I am looking to replace the diaphragms though as you mentiont that there might be holes that I can't rellay see. But this thing is so expensive. Does anyone know when i can get the cabr parts for cheaper price?

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    This isn't the place to try and save a few dollars. Get the genuine Mikuni parts. It's almost as cheap to get rebuild kits as it is for the diaphragms alone.

But you can contact Jay at Sharp's marine, Randy at Watcon or John Zigler, as well as a host of other places online

Thread Information