Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1

    Do you have this problem?

    I noticed something about my SHO skis last weekend. I have two skis and have seen this problem on both and curious to know if you have seen this or have an idea of the cause.

    A few weeks ago I was fishing In the gulf, and after drifting for a while in snotty conditions, my ski would not start. It cranked ok, but would not fire. After towing from the other ski for a short bit it started right up. Since then no problem until...

    Last weekend we were running around ft desoto. After holding both skis just off the beach for a few minutes neither would start. It was in the afternoon and the wind kicked up and the chop was kicking up. I think I noticed a pattern between both situation. In both cases, the non starting skis were rocking sideways in the waves. After turning the skis into the waves for a few minutes so they were rocking front to back they started right up. Every other time on wavey conditions I have had the skis anchored from the bow. No starting issues.

    I'm thinking there is something about these skis that does not like to be rocked sideways. Maybe the oil getting were it shouldn't. Or perhaps something with the fuel system. Have you had this problem and see similar pattern?


    Sent from my EVO Droid


  2. #2
    Although it shouldn't work (fuel injection) just give the throttle a little hit when you crank, if it won't start.
    It happens to everyone I know with 1800 FXs HOs and SHOs.
    Something to do with battery and having enough omph to fire the injectors.
    Only happens when warm.

  3. #3
    hitman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    Posts
    4,328
    +1
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by Desflurane View Post
    Although it shouldn't work (fuel injection) just give the throttle a little hit when you crank, if it won't start.
    It happens to everyone I know with 1800 FXs HOs and SHOs.
    Something to do with battery and having enough omph to fire the injectors.
    Only happens when warm.
    Pulling the throttle at all when trying to start the ski will not allow it to start.

    This is a weird issue and wish I could offer more advise but I've never encountered it. Hopefully someone who has will chime in here soon.

  4. #4
    I wanna go fast perk_1405's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    winnabow, nc
    Posts
    202
    Quote Originally Posted by Desflurane View Post
    Although it shouldn't work (fuel injection) just give the throttle a little hit when you crank, if it won't start.
    It happens to everyone I know with 1800 FXs HOs and SHOs.
    Something to do with battery and having enough omph to fire the injectors.
    Only happens when warm.
    its a new one on me, mine starts fine cold or warm. trailered or anchored, i dont think its normal.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Central North Carolina
    Posts
    3,846
    +1
    527
    I think these ski have a roll over sensor that will shut the ski off if the tilt angle of the ski side to side is too great. Just maby the left to right rocking of the ski in rough water is activating this switch, Just a thought! Tommy Jordan

  6. #6
    Addicted Member 5001craig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Northeast Indiana
    Posts
    2,924
    +1
    11
    I'm thinking I read a post here where the throttle cable was adjusted just a bit too tight--making the ski think the throttle was depressed and as hitman said above, these ski's won't start with the throttle depressed.

    You may want to check and see if you have any play in your throttle cable.

  7. #7
    hitman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    Posts
    4,328
    +1
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by 5001craig View Post
    I'm thinking I read a post here where the throttle cable was adjusted just a bit too tight--making the ski think the throttle was depressed and as hitman said above, these ski's won't start with the throttle depressed.

    You may want to check and see if you have any play in your throttle cable.
    +1 Good point Craig.

    Forgot about that. Could also be the slant detection switch like Tommy mentioned too. At least he has some things to go on now. Time for a little process of elimination fun.

  8. #8
    ChargedTaco's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Hawaii
    Posts
    217
    Quote Originally Posted by 2fast4u View Post
    I think these ski have a roll over sensor that will shut the ski off if the tilt angle of the ski side to side is too great. Just maby the left to right rocking of the ski in rough water is activating this switch, Just a thought! Tommy Jordan
    If you take a look at the slant detection switch in the manual, it is nearly impossible to activate the switch unless the ski is belly up.

    When I drift out in the ocean with the ski turned off, it usually takes 2-3 cranks before my ski starts up. I'm thinking the extra water in the waterbox "plugs" the exhaust and prohibits the engine from starting up and the 2-3 cranks blow out excess water. This does not happen unless it has been drifting for long periods.

  9. #9
    baba booey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    526
    Quote Originally Posted by Desflurane View Post
    Although it shouldn't work (fuel injection) just give the throttle a little hit when you crank, if it won't start.
    It happens to everyone I know with 1800 FXs HOs and SHOs.
    Something to do with battery and having enough omph to fire the injectors.
    Only happens when warm.
    Won't work
    Quote Originally Posted by hitman View Post
    Pulling the throttle at all when trying to start the ski will not allow it to start.

    This is a weird issue and wish I could offer more advise but I've never encountered it. Hopefully someone who has will chime in here soon.
    +1. I have an 09 FXHO. I had the same (similar) issue. Cranking for an extended period of time before firing. Under warranty, they replaced the fuel pump (did not help). Then, they replaced the battery and adjusted the throttle freeplay. I haven't had a problem since. My buddy has an 08 SHO that would shut off periodically without any warning. He had all his grounds checked and tightened and it resolved the issue. I attached a youtube link of what my ski was doing: In my situation, it would only do it after an extended ride (never on first start up).

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 03-06-2013, 06:31 PM
  2. Do you think this could be a problem?
    By ZiGz in forum Polaris Open Discussion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 06-15-2011, 10:17 PM
  3. Why do you have to match pistons like this??
    By darrengee in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (2-stroke)
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-06-2009, 02:29 PM
  4. Do you have MFD problems
    By explude in forum Polaris How To & FAQs
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-12-2008, 02:27 PM
  5. What ski do you have?
    By MikeTrin in forum Sea Doo Open Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-18-2005, 07:16 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •