Stock RXP-X missing a few RPMS

Hey folks,

Last weekend I noticed that my RXP-X seems to be missing a few hundred RPMS off the top end, and seems to be pulling slightly softer in hole shot. I typically see RPMS around 7600-7700, sometimes up to 7800 on colder days, but right now I'm only able to turn about 7400 max, and while I haven't gps'd my speed, I am going slow enough that the Sea-Doo speedo is no longer maxed at 70 all the time.

Ski has 64 hrs on it, plugs look good, oil level is perfect, no water ingestion or anything, and theres no idication I've pulled anything thru the pump or damaged the impeller (although anythings possible)

I'm obviously concerned about this being supercharger slip, but with this few of hours on an 08 I have to admit I'm a bit surprised. I've never checked the supercharger slip so I'm hesitant to start ripping apart my ski right now especially since it's still on warranty and I'd hate to cause more harm than good.

The only other thing I noticed is I think my throttle cable is considerably looser than when I fisrt bought the ski. I have about, I would say, roughly 1/8" slack in the finger throttle before engaging the cable - I plan to try and get a few more RPM out of the ski at WOT by pulling the cable tighter, but I wont be able to until the weekend. I seem to recall the slack being more like 1/16" or so, but maybe i'm just reaching.

Any thoughts? I have a feeling you're all going to say supercharger clutches :P

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by purpledrillmonkey View Post
    Hey folks,

Last weekend I noticed that my RXP-X seems to be missing a few hundred RPMS off the top end, and seems to be pulling slightly softer in hole shot. I typically see RPMS around 7600-7700, sometimes up to 7800 on colder days, but right now I'm only able to turn about 7400 max, and while I haven't gps'd my speed, I am going slow enough that the Sea-Doo speedo is no longer maxed at 70 all the time.

Ski has 64 hrs on it, plugs look good, oil level is perfect, no water ingestion or anything, and theres no idication I've pulled anything thru the pump or damaged the impeller (although anythings possible)

I'm obviously concerned about this being supercharger slip, but with this few of hours on an 08 I have to admit I'm a bit surprised. I've never checked the supercharger slip so I'm hesitant to start ripping apart my ski right now especially since it's still on warranty and I'd hate to cause more harm than good.

The only other thing I noticed is I think my throttle cable is considerably looser than when I fisrt bought the ski. I have about, I would say, roughly 1/8" slack in the finger throttle before engaging the cable - I plan to try and get a few more RPM out of the ski at WOT by pulling the cable tighter, but I wont be able to until the weekend. I seem to recall the slack being more like 1/16" or so, but maybe i'm just reaching.

Any thoughts? I have a feeling you're all going to say supercharger clutches :P
    It doesn't look like your ski ever ran really right from the start. I live in Florida and every stock PX I ever rode pulled at least 8K.

Could be a SCer hose slipped partially off. Maybe the SCer needs rebuilt. I have seen washers blow out in less hours on a PX.

When you adjust the throttle cable, you need to take a look at the blade in the the T/B and make sure it not over center after cable adjustment.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jp1300r View Post
    It doesn't look like your ski ever ran really right from the start. I live in Florida and every stock PX I ever rode pulled at least 8K.

Could be a SCer hose slipped partially off. Maybe the SCer needs rebuilt. I have seen washers blow out in less hours on a PX.

When you adjust the throttle cable, you need to take a look at the blade in the the T/B and make sure it not over center after cable adjustment.
    +1 on everything that Jim just said.

Check that charger quick, have seen some from the factory with 0 hours not have enough slip.

Thanks for the reply.

I'm riding at an elevation over 2000 feet so being down a few hundred rpms from 8000 isnt unexpected. the 7700-7800 is about right from what I understand. At sea level I wouldnt doubt it would turn 8k (or would have)

I still need to check for boost leaks, or possibly a clogged intercooler but I would have expected a larger RPM loss from either of those problems.

Back to the SCer rebuild, don't PX's typically last 100 hours, or flash a warning to you if it requires service prior to that? Or is that just wishful thinking coming from the manual?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by purpledrillmonkey View Post
    Thanks for the reply.

I'm riding at an elevation over 2000 feet so being down a few hundred rpms from 8000 isnt unexpected. the 7700-7800 is about right from what I understand. At sea level I wouldnt doubt it would turn 8k (or would have)

I still need to check for boost leaks, or possibly a clogged intercooler but I would have expected a larger RPM loss from either of those problems.

Back to the SCer rebuild, don't PX's typically last 100 hours, or flash a warning to you if it requires service prior to that? Or is that just wishful thinking coming from the manual?
    What are your air and water temps? Pulling 8K with 90+ water and 95+ air in Florida sea level. I think performance loss should be less than 5-10% at your elevation.

Part of it maybe a oil leaking SCer that has clogged the I/C. But usually not a big lost.

X SCer lasting 100 hours without being touched, I think is wishful thinking. The factory slip seemed too low and once the slip gets to about 4-5lbs, you can cook the washers and than major problems.

What are your air and water temps? Pulling 8K with 90+ water and 95+ air in Florida sea level. I think performance loss should be less than 5-10% at your elevation.

Part of it maybe a oil leaking SCer that has clogged the I/C. But usually not a big lost.

X SCer lasting 100 hours without being touched, I think is wishful thinking. The factory slip seemed too low and once the slip gets to about 4-5lbs, you can cook the washers and than major problems.
    Air ~80+
    Water ~72

I thought I had read somewhere that for every ~1000ft above sea level, a loss of ~100 RPM or so is pretty common, and like I said, I used to turn 7800 pretty easily as long as it wasnt super hot out which corresponds well to my elevation of ~2800ft.

In any case, it is likely that the SC has started slipping excessively. I will try to check it this weekend. What are my odds at claiming this on B.E.S.T. extended warranty? Technically I'm seeing reduced performance and all maintenance has been performed as per the manual so will this fall under it? Or is this considered a wear component?

Thread Information