+1

Ingested Some Sand/Rocks?

Was idling along ran into some shallow beach sand/stones. Immediately shut off the engine.
    Pushed the ski off the sand and restarted. Made some rattling noises for a couple of seconds then engine sputtered. After that all seemed fine.

So, is everything ok? Does stuff just move out of there or get stuck in the system?
    I'm new to ski's so not all that familiar with everything. Does this screw up the impeller blade, stress the pump bearings, etc.?
    I really don't have access to the bottom either as I keep in the water on a Jetport and don't have a trailer.

It's an 07' Ultra 250X with 80 hours.

Thanks for any advice.

Ran into sandbar

If it's not too late (meaning you have run this quite a bit since sandbar) you need to flush the ski with a garden hose to be sure there is no sand in the engine. Next time, after immediately killing the engine, shake the back of the ski up, down, left, right, foreword, backwards, etc. This washes most of the sand off the back plate which will minimize the sand intake to the engine, components, etc. Sand in the engine/ block will overheat your ski, and if you have the DI, it could block the cooling there too. Either way this could cost thousands to fix if your ski overheats.

j
    Quote Originally Posted by dmk View Post
    Was idling along ran into some shallow beach sand/stones. Immediately shut off the engine.
    Pushed the ski off the sand and restarted. Made some rattling noises for a couple of seconds then engine sputtered. After that all seemed fine.

So, is everything ok? Does stuff just move out of there or get stuck in the system?
    I'm new to ski's so not all that familiar with everything. Does this screw up the impeller blade, stress the pump bearings, etc.?
    I really don't have access to the bottom either as I keep in the water on a Jetport and don't have a trailer.

It's an 07' Ultra 250X with 80 hours.

Thanks for any advice.

Pain is fear leaving your body.... rlovebk's Avatar
    +1
    When ever you ingest something or think you have keep an eye on the pisser. If you have no H2O coming out of it stop it immediately. Sometimes just shaking it around will dislodge whatever is in there. Sometimes no.
    You want to really try and not do this (rocks,sand, etc.) anymore. Get a bag anchor. It can screw the impeller and wear ring and other things up but these parts are pretty tough for sure.

Thread Information