Unhappy 1995 Polaris SLT750 Waverunner shoots up to 4600 rpm when starting

Not sure if anyone might be able to give me some direction here - but let me try to explain what happened.

1) Polaris was running normally - about a week ago - top speed 46 mph - great pickup
    2) Went blasting around on it - and then dove into a wave. Still ran good, but then after a bit more on the lake, I started losing power. Did not hit any weeds or anything. Was only able to idle it home. Also heard a rattling type sound. No pickup - just seemed to bog down and not go anywhere.
    3) The next day - took it out of the water. Found that the fuel pump had come off the back of the case where it was bolted on. Bolted it back on and tightened up the air hoses. Spark plugs were put in new in the beginning of the season and still seemed good.
    4) Turned it over, did not rev up - started up just fine, so decided up to launch it in the water.
    5) Engine started up, did not rev up, hit the throttle, and I was able to get it to go about 30-33 mph with fairly good pickup. Sometimes it bogged a bit when hitting the throttle
    6) Took it out of the water. Checked compression in each cylinder - read 80 on the dial gage, and had good spark on each cylinder.
    7) Hooked up the flush kit to it to run water through the engine, and then started it up. It starts up just fine, and then shortly after revs up from about 1200 rpm to 4600 rpm before I needed to shut it off. I was able to manually close the butterflies on the carbs, and it seemed to slow down/shut off the engine.

Any ideas would be really helpful.

(As you can see by my very "technical" description - I'm not a full time mechanic - but do have a keen sense, and a basic understanding of engines - or have a few mechanics around me that I can go to - so be easy on me

Annie

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

Summary; The engine is down on power in the water compared to before you hit the wave, does not accelerate like it used to, and now revs up when running on the trailer.

Those compression numbers seem low. When measuring compression, did you have all spark plugs out, throttle held wide open?

What max RPM do you see in the water now?

How long have you owned this SLT750?

What maintenance has been done?

Click below for some useful info

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the hulk Annie.

Have you inspected the hoses for any kinks, cracks, or poor connections/loose hose clamps?

Is there any water/fluid inside the pulse hose coming off the engine?

Have you done any mainatainenece to the ski since you've had it?

Let me try to answer these questions.

Summary; The engine is down on power in the water compared to before you hit the wave, does not accelerate like it used to, and now revs up when running on the trailer.
    The summary is correct.

Those compression numbers seem low. When measuring compression, did you have all spark plugs out, throttle held wide open?
    I believe that I tested it - one spark plug at a time, one cylinder at a time, without the throttle or choke on. A friend of mine had the dial gage, so I will have to see if he can come over again to do a better test.

What max RPM do you see in the water now?
    I haven't put it in the water - not sure if I should with the revving engine - I did have a flush kit and water hooked to it. Will that make a difference? I can put it in the water

How long have you owned this SLT750?
    I have owned it for about 5 years. It's run pretty good for all of the years that I have owned it. I even changed out the fuel float myself. I did have a new impeller put in about 2 years ago.

What maintenance has been done?
    I have lubed and fogged the engine and general winterizing each year.

Thank you

Have you inspected the hoses for any kinks, cracks, or poor connections/loose hose clamps?
    I did a little, but think I may have to really go through it and follow the diagram to check and tighten all connections.

Is there any water/fluid inside the pulse hose coming off the engine?
    Where is the pulse hose on the enginer?

Have you done any mainatainenece to the ski since you've had it?
    I have done general maintenance - fogging, lubricating. About 2 years ago- I had a brand new impeller installed.

Annie

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    When you say you are afraid to put it in the water with the revving engine, do you mean the engine is racing on it's own when idling?

It may be time to upgrade/update your fuel system if you haven't.

You donn't have an autocock installed on that ski do you? (looks like a small fuel pump mounted next to the fuel pump)

Check your in line fuel filters, water seperator, and petcock for restrictions.

Also check the hoses inside the fuel tank if you have the older style sender.

The pulse hose is the hose going from the engine block (under rear carb) to the fuel pump. Make sure there is no fluid inside there especially if the fuel pump came loose.

Red face

Hi,

Well - I broke down today and just took the waverunner over to a shop that repairs them. He did do a full cynlinder check - and luckily - all are good. He is supposed to work on it on Monday.

I will tell him to check the hose on the fuel pump - since that is the one that fell off. He was a little puzzled himself - but thought that it is either a vacuum leak - with the hoses or the reed valve gaskets, or one of the carbs is having an issue and stuck open. He will work on Monday and let me know what he finds out.

Thank you guys for all of your terrific help and suggestions. I really appreciate it and have learned a lot!

Anniecat

Thread Information