Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Removing gp1300r Exhaust...urgent help?!

Im in the process of trying to problem solve my ski, and im trying to get the exhaust off to install a d-plate/check for blockage, and i CANNOT get the damned thing out. I followed the directions, loosened all of the clamps holding exhaust to gaskets, took out the 4 bolts holding the exhaust mounts to the cylinder ontop, then the 1 bolt out of the holder on the rear of exhaust.

I have tried EVERYTHING and i cannot get it to wiggle out, it feels as if theres another bolt holding it or something of that sort.

Please help! I am hoping to get this done tonight because its supposed to be 100+ tommorow not including humidity...

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    not to be much more of a smartass then usual for me..but it will come out...eventually..it's tough/tricky/nasty..all rolled up into one. You need to remove the head bracket complete, roll the for and aft rubber connectors down, remove the little assorted bleed hoses. get some gloves and with some finesses, twist shove pull swear curse and at some point you'll hit the magic spot and the pipe will be free of the hull.

being streesed about what's going to happen tomorrow will not help get the pipe out tonight. keep at it..you'll eventually get it.

every single time I have to do a big yamaha pipe job..I'm always asking that poseidon punish the veil designers of that pipe..that's also reserved for the guys that figured out the polaris triple engine plate mounts..the seadoo 951 exhaust system and a few other choice bits I prefer stay out of my shop's work queue.

stay with it..it's nearly as much fun getting back in. A can of silicon spray will do wonders for your skin...and as hot as it might be..gloves are a must.

Thanks man I appriciate it...still messing with it, I felt under the back/bottom of the pipe and it feels as if there's a bolt holding it under there?

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    the big rubber seals have to be dealt with..no hidden bolts if my memory serves me correctly.

Those rubber seals are pretty nasty..they can make it feel like there is still one bolt in there somewhere. Just a bunch of honkingly large crome plated monsters screwing that messinto the head. Did you take the bracket off yet?..if not..do that.

get an inspection mirror in your toolkit..removes questions about stuff like this

+1
    I justed pulled mine the other day, all I can suggest is going back through these instructions. Doesn't get much easier: http://www.cajundude.com/stingerremoval.htm

Maybe look into the third picture down. Did you loosen the black rubber boot, then the grey boot under it? Also step 6. The two bolts under the stinger.

I have an issue removing it once it was loose. I removed the two hoist points pictured in step 8 and it lifted out fine.

once you've done it a few times it gets easier, the problem is that it's tight in there and the bastard is very heavy. You kind of have to unthread it out of the ski

ADDDDDDAH DDDDDAH DDDDDAH!!!!
    take the pipe from coupler to coupler first. ubdo all the hose clamps and slide front couplers forward and muffler back. remove spark plugs and the two 14mm clamps on the head as well as nuts. there are two 12mm bolts on bracket between pipe and cylinders and three 14mm bolts holding the lower rear pipe bracket. unplug the temp sensor and roll the pipe section out of the hull. if you need to remove more of the pipe do it after that section is out.

Quote Originally Posted by hooksgp1300 View Post
    take the pipe from coupler to coupler first. ubdo all the hose clamps and slide front couplers forward and muffler back. remove spark plugs and the two 14mm clamps on the head as well as nuts. there are two 12mm bolts on bracket between pipe and cylinders and three 14mm bolts holding the lower rear pipe bracket. unplug the temp sensor and roll the pipe section out of the hull. if you need to remove more of the pipe do it after that section is out.
    What he said. Its the 2 12mm bolts down low between the pipe and cylinders that holding you back.

60% of the time, it works every time.
    When you finally get it out, try to keep your wits about you and take a moment from your victory cry to make a mental note on how it came out so that you can get it back in. First couple of times I did this I was so happy to get it out that if forgot the magic angle and played hell trying to feed it back in. It's fun.

....back from the dead.... J-ME's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by upgraded View Post
    When you finally get it out, try to keep your wits about you and take a moment from your victory cry to make a mental note on how it came out so that you can get it back in. First couple of times I did this I was so happy to get it out that if forgot the magic angle and played hell trying to feed it back in. It's fun.
    Well said!!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information