Fuel Octane Boost?

I know that a higher octane fuel is prescribed in these machines, but what will additional octane do (i.e. octane boost additives)? Any adverse effects?

Too much octane will actually generate less horsepower from an engine. You want to run as much octane as required to prevent detonation and pre-ignition, but no more/no less.

If you want to be bored for a while read this :

Silver Bay, Toms River, N.J.
    The octane issue has been discussed before. (Riva archives). One point of fact - octane boost will make bad gas a little better, but it doesn't really affect good "higher octane" gas. Most of the time the "bump" in octane is due to the addition of alcohol and other additives. I read that if you want to try higher octane to try a 50/50 mix between super unleaded and race gas. Here's a good link:

There are only 2 octane boosters available in the US worth a damn - NOS brand and Amsoil. Unless you mix your own Toluene (sp), all of the others on the market are junk.

I have the test results at home somewhere that a lab did on actual RON improvements.

Interesting Discussion on Octane

Loved reading the indepth article on Octane. Found out some interesting things about gas and diesel engines that I did not know. On a followup question: Does all of the same information apply to 2-stroke engines?

Currently, I have a modified '94 raider with a compression ratio of 180-PSI. I was told that I needed to run a mix of race gas (104+ octane) and premium. I've actually run with premium only for the last few years with no issues.

Curious on how knock occurs with a 2-stroke.......

Great site by the way........ and as my name implies, I think I'm turning to the dark

Octane boosters and 2strokes generally don't play well together. It's second hand information, but I am told there are issues with piston wash.

Southaven, MS
    Yes piston wash changes with the addition of the octane boosters.
    It actually changed my color from brown to brown/red color.

I started mixing av gas to the pump gas and it worked well mixed 50/50.

Years ago it was under $3 a gallon which beat the $6-7 for race gas.

Thread Information