+1

07 RXT water in hull

My friends 07 RXT had about 3 inches of water in the hull after some lively use.
    We noticed it after getting home after riding off and on for about 5 hours.
    Drain plugs were removed as usual once the ski was back on the trailer, but no water came out, it only drained after I stuck a small screwdriver into the drain plug holes.

Any Idea how the water got in there, and why it didn't drain?

+1
    drain plugs have to be about 1/2 way out. If they are all the way out, the inside of them blocks the water.

I never saw a drop of water inside my 07 , in 3 years. Look for a leaking seal around something, front, seat, shaft, loose hose etc.

+1
    Over 340 hours on ours and always dry.
    Three inches in the hull is serious, you may have a carbon seal going bad or something unusual like that; water ingestion from a loose hose can kill your motor or even sink your ski; you should get a dealer to check it out.

+1
    Just spent a week at Sebago Lake in Maine, dealer checked out the ski before we left, couldn't find any issues with leaks or bailers.
    The ski was in a slip for a full day, no water leaked in, after a day of use, there was about 2" in the hull, pulled the ski out, opened the drain plugs, nothing came out, the balls in the drain plugs were stuck all the way in, we got them loose with a small screwdriver and water drained out, we made sure the holes in the bailer connectors were clear and put it back in the water.
    The ski stayed dry for the next 5 days, but started collecting water again yesterday, we pulled it out last night, opened the drain plugs, same problem, the balls were stuck.
    We left them as is and will drop the ski at the dealer Monday.

Any thoughts as to what is happening here?

+1
    Yes, I have an idea; check the exhaust hose and make sure all your hoses and clamps are secure; don't trust the dealer, get in there with a flashlight and check it yourself! Believe me, sometimes dealers don't have a clue; if you want to see proof of that, look at this.

Back the trailer into the water on the ramp. You want the ski still on the trailer but with the pump in the water; now remove the seat, start it up and give it a little throttle and look in the hull with a flashlight to see if you see any water seeping in when you hit the throttle. Alternately, sometimes guys will put just a little water in the hull and then put the ski on the trailer, and with the motor off, crawl under it with a flashlight and check if you see any water dripping out.

Also, does your friend jump the ski on ocean waves, or is it possible the previous owner did this? Jumping these heavy 4 strokes can break or loosen motor mounts; this can cause the motor to shift; and like already said, this can cause the carbon seal to go bad. Sometimes it will only leak when you are under heavy throttle; when you punch the throttle the engine moves and that seal starts to open up; as I said this is a very serious issue; if it opens all the way that ski can go under in a matter of seconds.

You have been warned; if he hydrolocks that engine, it can cost thousands to repair. He should find a dealer who knows what they are doing before he ends up with that ski on the bottom of the bay.

+1
    I just checked my own 07 RXT, same issue, about 1" of water, balls stuck in place.
    Both these RXT's were bought new, have about 80 hours, fresh water use only, no jumping.
    The dealer put water in the hull to look for leaks, I don't know if they did the running on trailer test.
    My wife's (same 07 RXT, bought one year later than the other two), has only 32 hours, hull is dry, balls loose.

+1
    Dealer replaced both drain plugs and fittings, said they had become distorted which was causing the ball to lodge in place and stop the bailers from sucking out the water in the hull.

Thread Information