+1

Back fires when starting

just got back my rebuilt 1200 ffi 2001 Genisis, installed it hooked it all up seem to go well but when trying to start it is back firing real bad.
    I got the 2 grounds hooked up to side of the block, the ignition wires that goes to coils will only go on one way because of wire length the same as the leads to coils for the injection system ,the battery is good and charged turning over great.
    cant mix up the other wires will not plug in if you try. what am I missing

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Check the actual color codes of the ignition coil wires, don't trust the wire length alone.

Ficht Primary wires
    MAG Orange/Blue
    CEN Orange/Purple
    PTO Orange/Green

Make sure all the ignition coils really are grounded to the engine block. If there is paint in the way, clean it off.

Fuel Injector wires
    MAG Blue
    CEN Purple
    PTO Green

What is the history of the engine before the rebuild? Any chance the EMM itself has a problem?

Did you re-install the flywheel, or was it done by the engine rebuilder?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by buddyw
    ...I checked wires and all is good, I did do the ground on coils no difference

...it back fires through the exhaust real bad, blew off the exhaust hose ,not intake.

The emm was good before the engine got hydro lock then somebody tried starting it and blew off the pto cylinder and twisted crank ,

I sent it off to rebuilder ...I did install flywheel with the key and red locktite on the taper...

it does try to start then I guess it is loading up then fires in the exhaust then big boom not good.

i never removed crank trigger in the housing looked okay? ...
    Check that the flywheel timing is correct relative to the pistons.

Remove the CPS sensor from the top of the flywheel housing.
    Set the MAG piston at TDC
    Look down the CPS hole. Should see the zero degree timing mark on the flywheel.

Also check that the crank phase is correct for the firing order, just in case the crank rebuild was done using the wrong firing order.

Check the voltage on White/Red wire without unplugging any of the fuel injectors. Any White/Red wire will do, they are all connected.

Should have over 20 volts on White/Red while cranking. If the engine starts, should jump up to over 40 volts.

After sitting untouched for over five minutes (lanyard in place) and you then press Start to crank the engine, does the MFI display 'wake up' with a full speedo dial sweep?

+1
    I'd check the reeds and see if thier damaged from the small explosions.

+1
    In addition to the checks I outlined earlier, try this;

Unplug and ground the PTO and CEN spark plug wires. See if it will start and run without backfiring on just the MAG cylinder. You may need to feather the throttle to keep it running on one cylinder, but it should run.

If it DOES run on just the MAG cylinder, then the flywheel index is OK. Change to the CEN cylinder connected, with the MAG and PTO grounded. Does it run equally well on just the CEN cylinder?

Repeat the same test with just the PTO cylinder firing.

+1
    Just getting back to this after gone for a week , I did pull out the cps what am i looking for i turned the flywheel over and i dont see any marking to tell me zero TDC ,with the mag side piston up there is no specific mark there at all. I did try starting the engine on the mag side cylinder it did not start center and pto plugs where grounded and were firing as I could see a good blue spark. the display does sweep when first turns over. the plugs are getting wet with fuel. did check voltage at the injectors and it was 24 volts.

+1
    I tried starting again, no luck it did one time try hitting, its letting out alot of smoke like its getting fuel will not start It seems like cranks out of time. i know how to to check with it out any body done it the hull??

Thread Information