Die on WOT unless I had just driven fast or if I flash choke before WOT

Ok new to me 2000 xl1200 limited I've got 10 hours on it. Wave eater clips installed and d chip. Paid a mechanic to check the following as I did not have time; pressure tested checked ok, reeds ok, carbs rebuilt, new fuel filter, new plugs, compression 110, 110, 107.

After carb rebuilding it starts pretty easy. The problem I have is accelerating either the first time I'm on the water, after a few minutes of sitting idle, or after a few minutes of being turned off. It bogs down or dies. I either have to go super slow working up to it or feathering to get it cleared out. It did this before the carb rebuild.

If I've been running at a good speed for a while and stop it will take off pretty good without hesitation.

Or if I need to put on trailer or up a pwc dock I can hit the choke real fast and punch it and it will take off no problems (if I don't flash choke and it dies).

Any thoughts

+1
    Did the guy that rebuilt the carbs remove the caps for the adjustment screws?

They had already been removed. So someone had already been in the carb before.

+1
    if it accels fine when you pull the choke, then it may be lean on bottom end... is the accel pump disabled?
    -if he removed the accel pump, you have to jet up or it can be lean on bottom
    -if the accel pump is still installed, it may not be working
    -if the accel pump is disabled, and it was jetted up on low speed, it may just need a low speed mixture adjustment

hUm sounds like I need to find the status of my accelerator pump. I will start looking for threads to determine that tell me how to determine if accel pump is functioning.

A new problem started today. Accelerator cable sticking. It appears to be inside the carb as the cable seems slack when it happens but what ever pulls it back to catch seems to be catching.

Coincidence that it starts after mechanic was in there?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by shogan View Post
    hUm sounds like I need to find the status of my accelerator pump. I will start looking for threads to determine that tell me how to determine if accel pump is functioning.

A new problem started today. Accelerator cable sticking. It appears to be inside the carb as the cable seems slack when it happens but what ever pulls it back to catch seems to be catching.

Coincidence that it starts after mechanic was in there?
    hard to say... throttle shaft could be sticking

take it back to him if he was in there last, and make him take it apart and see what jetting and such in the carbs

Thread Information