Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

won't start, no click need help ASAP

I was fine when I was working on it yesterday. I went to check on it this morning, and nothing. I checked and theres 12+ voltage at the battery. Keep in mind that It was running in the garage before I shut it down. I did have a small explosion and alot of smoke coming inside the hull. I was putting the bungie cord over the battery/cdi when there was this huge explosion that sounded like a gun then next thing I know, theres smoke coming from the cdi and the hull. it kinda smelled acidy. I disconnected the battery charger let things settle. It started numerous times but I did have to replace the 1/4 fuse.
    Last edited by tweeder; 07-23-2010 at 12:29 PM. Reason: more info

+1
    A HUGE explosion? explain please.. were you inside the hull when this explosion occured? did the battery explode? Sounds like you didnt have the battery cover over the battery when you put the cdi on top of the battery.

Never charge a battery in a jetski. it must be taken out.. any surges can blow out the cdi.. a tender is ok to use for long term storage.. did you have it on 50 amp quick charge?

were u cranking it while it exploded?

Yeah there was a huge explosion an enough smoke to fill the hull. I was in the hull trying to attach the battery tie downs and boom. The battery seems fine except all the fill plugs were popped up. The battery voltage is 12.99. Looking at the end of the cables they're exposed and I thing that's what shorted. I pulled the cdi cover and smoke was coming from there. Also the main wiring harness about 6" from the cdi was hot and burnt the loom was melted. I checked the starter solenoid has voltage between the 2 terminals. I have a battery isolator switch so the battery doesn't die when not in use. I have put 2 terminals and worries to the battery so I can charge it without taking off the cdi. I will post pics later. Like I said it did start up multiple times in the garage after this all happened, and this morning nothing not a click.

sounds to me like u fried the electrical box

Well I pulled the battery to put shrink wrap on the cable ends an the battery is split down one side. I'm gonna replace it with my quad battery. Why would there be voltage on a split battery. As for the electrical box being fried, it was working after the explosion. Is there a way to short or test the starter without pulling it and the motor out?

I opened up the cdi an jumped power from the battery to the terminal that's connected to the starter bypassing the solenoid and the starter cranks. So is the solenoid nfg or the starter switch? Also anyone reading this have a wiring harness that I can buy? I'll post it in the classifieds

+1
    This is a great lesson to be learned by all........ The Battery was an Acid type liquid battery. Not A AGM Battery, where the fliud is absorbed by mats inside the battery. All the caps blew off -----probably throwing acid out too.. and it actually exploded.

Thats why Keith always recommends using an AGM type battery,,An Oyddesy PC265 if I'm not mistaken!.. I WOULDN'T USE YOUR QUAD BATTERY! I would hold out and get the right type for your own safety.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Flush that hull out with LOTS of fresh water. You may even want to sprinkle baking soda in there to neutralize any remaining battery acid, then rinse all that out too.

Rinse the entire engine and hull interior. Seal a plastic bag over the carb intakes beforehand.

The electrical box shell is METAL. The battery MUST have the plastic cover in place, AND the battery cable ends should be insulated.

It is critical that the battery posts never touch the electrical box. That is why the stock configuration has the plastic battery cover.

And use a high quality battery of the correct size and type. You want reliability - don't risk damaging the electronics or being stranded on the water.

The factory sealed AGM type batteries are excellent; Deka ETX16LM or Odyssey PC625 are both very good choices.

I wasn't aware about different types of batteries, I will be getting the proper on now. I think I found out the problem. I fried the black wire that's in the cdi that's bolted to the brace that holds the coils down. The other end goes under the motor and into the stator? It fried the plastic off of it the whole way

Anybody know what that black wire is for?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information