Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Carbon Fiber goodies from this hood!

I got this carbon fiber hood today from a body shop for free. I'm going to be making some dash panels out of the flat stuff(as near as flat as I can get it).. I'll also be testing drilling it and bending it and seeing what it can and cant do. I jumped on the hood once today already and it jusr bounced back with no cracks.

If my dash panel comes out nice, Maybe I can make one for you.

Heres a couple pics of the hood.. pretty neat stuff. All I'll have to do is cut out a template, trace n cut! It is already smooth as glass and its epoxy and all carbon fiber!

More to come------
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0075.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	95.6 KB 
ID:	206750   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0074.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	50.3 KB 
ID:	206751  

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by bowsniper View Post
    More to come------

+1
    im watching

if you are going to cut the carbon hood to make your parts... be very careful. The carbon dust is sharp, and unlike most organic, and inorganic dust... you body will readily accept it, but carbon fiber is a carcinogen.

SO... PLEASE... wear gloves, and a long sleeve shirt... and wear a lightly moistened dust mask. And, if you can use air powered tools... keep your work area wet to keep dust from floating around.

BUT... it should be a very cool project. Can't wait to see what you come up with.

+1
    Thankyou for the warnings.. I never thought about it being a carcingin.. i have a 3-m mask that will stop any dust . I think a dash panel would look sweet out of this stuff. I was or may do some from scratch if this doesnt come out the way im hoping it will. we'll just see how it comes out.. the hood does a have slight curves on it but not too bad. the center section is pretty flat. so I should be able to get a few good pieces from that area.. I think thester wanted one a while back too..(dash panel)..

the SHARP comment is a great one too. Never gave that a thought.. Thanks,, I'll keep everything wet as I go to keep the dust to a minimum.

+1
    Well , I have a problem. I'm not sure this is carbon fiber. It may be just glass with expoxy. just not a 100% sure.. it cuts pretty easy with a jigsaw blade. Heres a few pieces I cut out so far.. Been trying to use the flat area of the hood as much as I can. I left water on the hood to keep the dust down.. although it wouldnt cut when water was present. thats kinda wierd huh? i guess it needs the heat generated by the blade to get thru it.. hmm maybe it is carbon fiber! I dont know yet.

Still need to cut the center hole out for the flo-rite.

If you guys would like 1 of these, paypal me 5.00 and i'll cut 1 out for ya. the hood is not totally flat. although, the pieces are small enough, once you screw it dow, it will be fine. i havent had an issue yet from the ones i have cut already. I thinking it would be better to cut it out a little bigger and let you finish the edges to fit.

the ones i cut out already have some small chunks missing if you look at the edges.. maybe if its cuts bigger, someone could sand it down without chipping it.. I tried 2 different blades to cut with, not much difference.

There may be a scratch or scuff on the piece you get. you can always wet sand that out anyways.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0104.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	69.4 KB 
ID:	207030   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0105.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	71.0 KB 
ID:	207031  

+1
    ill take one when i pick you up thursday

+1
    Heres the saw, cut your own.lol It does look sweet sitting in the dash. Better than the white I'm using now.

Canadian Beaver Inspector jkindt's Avatar
    Nice!!! I call dibs on a dash panel! I love the look of carbon fiber. Hopefully you have enough left to cut me a panel. Is the SL panel the same size and shape as your pro?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jkindt View Post
    Is the SL panel the same size and shape as your pro?
    Yes Sir

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information