Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Fuel Pressure Problem... Need Help

Trying to get some top speed and RPM numbers today after just finishing my current mods I had the ski just stop running at about 5000 rpms in between runs. Everything shut down as if I pulled the lanyard off. I then pulled the lanyard off and put it back on. All electronics/gauges worked good but the engine would not start up. It turned over plenty but couldn't get it started. Looked at the Riva rrfpr and it was at 0 pressure with the key on.

Pulled the fuel line from the reg to the fuel rail off and it had good pressure when I put the key on the post but the reg still read 0. I can hear the fuel pump pressurize the system but still 0 on the riva rrfpr and still can't get it to start. It'll only turn over.

Replaced plugs
    Checked all the fuses and they were fine
    Unplugged the connections on the ECU and plugged them back in

Does anyone have any ideas what else it could be... Ski only has 30 hours on it and 3 with the rrfpr, ecu, s/c and injectors.

Thanks again for any help

+1
    Pinch off the fuel return line from the reg. to the tank with a pair of vice grips or something similar. If it runs like that then there is a prob with your regulator

+1
    I think Riva may be having issues starting to develope with the new regulators. Look back through the threads a couple days ago and see the thread I started "Riva's new RRFPR, POS", the gauge exploded at startup. Could have been a serious situation if the gauge lens haddnt popped out while riding and fuel continued to spray inside the hull unnoticed. I couldnt get through to Riva tech support yesterday, Jerry has also sent a message for me. I fully expect to hear from them on Monday, i'll keep ya'll posted on the results....

I'll try and pinch off that line from the reg back to the fuel tank and see if it'll start up. I'll also read the threads on the Riva rrfpr and see the problems with them. I tried also to get someone at riva tech support but they were closed at 430 on Friday??? I couldn't imagine the gauge exploding while riding. Glad nothing lit up!! Thanks for the replies, I appreciate it a lot! I'm hoping it's the regulator. I dont' think it would be any problem with my motor. I thought about a compression check but I doubt that's the case with such low hours on the new modifications....

I found the problem with the 0 fuel pressure. The gray housing on the fuel pump assembly that houses the billet block off came unclipped and the fuel pressure popped off/out the black block off plug. The bottom clip was still on so the parts didn't fall into the bottom of the tank. I thought about putting a zip tie on it but I can't see the fuel pressure being so great that it pops off the gray housing. Maybe it was my error on the install...?? Has this problem happened to anyone else?

Thanks in advance for any replies

+1
    Glad you found it. I was trying to post yesterday, but was having issues with the site or my internet connection. There is alot of pressure on that part. What ever your FP is, is what is on that part. You have to make sure the part is install correctly for sure. If there is some way to reinforce it I would do it. This type failure could damage your engine. I did this mod before a kit came out and just cut the hose and place a bolt in the hose and clamped it.

I think I'll do the same! My fuel pressure isn't all that much greater now vs. stock. It's at 60 PSI. The only thing that I could think of that made this pop out was the 1 to 1 rise on the rrfpr once the boost started climbing. The odd thing is that it didn't happen WOT rpm's or high speed. I was at 5000 rpm just crusing around.... Kinda wondering if this is a defect with the riva kit. I also thought that maybe a slightly larger "O" ring on the billet block off might fix the issue because it would be a little tighter in the hole???

+1
    I doubt that a larger o-ring will help, the stock fuel pressure will put out around 75-80 psi. More than likely the grey cover did not clip back securely during the billet block-off install. The same grey cover is used for the stock FPR without any issues. Hopefully you didn't dammage it when it was removed the process of modding. I'm not certain what JP is refering to about the bolt and clamp on this particular issue, i'm sure I've missed something else again!!

I did get in touch with Riva this morning and they are sending me out a new gauge to repair the new RRFPR.

+1
    I cut the hose going to the relief valve/pressure regulator and screwed a bolt into the hose and clamped it. There is another way some guys have done it. Remove the hose from the regulator and at the top on the fuel pump assy. Tap the plastic nipple and place a machine screw in.

I'll carefully pull the assembly out tomorrow and do a good inspection on the block off and housing for any damage. I wonder if two smal zip ties around the housing would work? Hopefully the new gauge will hold together! That's something else I'll inspect as well. With my luck the gauge will blow up next! The machine screw and nipple sound like a good fix for this also. I want to avoid it happening again so I'll have to do something. I want to have piece of mind that it ins't going to come out again. I don't think I'll take the chance of just clipping it back in alone...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information