+1

help with the ski. not wanting to start when hot and odd idle

so today my father and i drove about an hour to the top of the chickahominy river. we wanted to drive from the almost top to where it butts in with the james river. dads about 200 and im 160 ish. it was 101 or so out. water is fresh to slightly brackish.

filled up it some country store with 89 octane fuel.

put it in, started right up. we drove it about 20 minutes, stopped it and let it sit for 10 while we walked around this marinia. it started fine then. we drove it for another 30 minutes or so at about 30 mph average. we stopped it and got in to swim. when we got back on it didnt want to start. cranked allot no fire. it finaly started to putter after choking the daylights out of it and giving allot of fuel and it seemed to run fine. drove it another 30 or so at 30mph. idled for about 2 minutes. cut it off, immediatly started it to see, and it fired fine. then drove it back to the truck, again didnt want to start without me dumping allot of fuel down its throat and cranking it for 30 seconds to a minute. and it idles lower and will sometimes shut itself off. got it home and ran it on the hose. still doesn't want to idle right. seems to be just below a thousand rpm.

before when idling on the trailer it seemed to run rough at idle. kinda poppy and the motor mounts are definatly doing their job, the motor moves a little bit but nothing crazy. is this normal? now it will idle okay, little low, but seems more of a rough idle and it sounds like you can hear each compression firing.

its definatly getting oil , it smokes on startup and idle. ski has 105 hours on it. only mod is a d plate and chip

do these things heat soak? it was spitting water on the left and right side the entire time at their exit holes, but i was thinking that the gas i got wasnt all that great, and im thinking it needs to idle for a minute or two after running it for 20-30 minutes straight.

that or, as far as i know my stock 105 hour carbs are untouched. do i need to send them to oside bill? or atleast pull them and clean them?

when im done i rinse out the hull and i try to avoid getting water on the carbs. is this nessicary to do?

when i submit this thread im going out side and pulling the plugs. ill compression check it later.

can someone post a video or something of their close to stock 1200r idling on the hose?

im still getting a little rattle when idling on the hose that goes away with any rev it gets. is that normal or is that wear ring?

thanks for the help guys

+1
    it was a very fun ride though i found the page on wikipedia and according to that we rode 44 miles give or take some.

i pulled the plugs and a little bit of smoke came out of each cyl. its been out of water for about a hour and a half.

this is it idling before i cleaned the plugs:

these are the plugs left is the front cyl, right is the back cyl. :

this is the smoke, looks blueish to me thats probably normal:

+1
    Replace the sparkplugs First with NEW ones, If that does not clear it up do a compression test on all 3 cylinders next.

+1
    im gonna let it cool down and fire it tonight and see if its better. does that seem to be too rough of an idle to you ? watch the video

+1
    Have you ran it top speed? Check compression first and we can go from there.

+1
    yeah once its running it runs just like it always has. i did 60 on it a couple times after it gave me trouble starting. ill compression check it soon and let you guys know

+1
    well that was fun while it lasted. bought an actron compression checker (not waiting on a snap on) when i bought this ski at 96 hours it did 115psi across the board. when i did it tonight with 107 hours on it, 1 and 3 have 110 psi, middle cyl has 40psi on it.

pretty dissapointed now. looks like the riva mods i was planning this winter are on hold. if you want to help out a new jetskier and keep him from getting discouraged, comment on my rebuild thread. ill link it in here when my mood lifts a little and i actually make that thread.

buying a ski for 4 grand, riding it 10 times and then dropping a cyl is really dissapointing.

most of these last 200 hours or so. why would i drop a cyl if my oil pump is still working. theres oil on all the plugs.

sell or rebuild is the question. going for rebuild right now.

Thread Information