Thread: bad vts gauge??

+1

bad vts gauge??

on my 95 xp... would a bad vts gauge cause the vts to operate partially ???

Quote Originally Posted by svtnos View Post
    on my 95 xp... would a bad vts gauge cause the vts to operate partially ???

The motor may be getting tired if the nozzle is just stopping and the gauge has nothing to do with it. It is a separate circuit. If your gauge is stopping part way and the nozzle goes full travel both ways I would check and see if your getting water in from the shaft boot. I just dealt with that on my ski. Dried everything out and it started working again. Found pin holes in the boot.

This link has great info on diagnosing the trim system and how it all works. Has a complete schematic of the module.

http://www.sea-doo.net/techarticles/vts/index.html

+1
    thanx that helped eliminate that concern.. ive played with this thing too much and cant figure it out... let me explain...

ive pulled the motor off and it and manually slide the screw back and forth across the limit switches in the black box.. tha gauge reads its position everytime perfectly.. i mount the motor in with the trim set all the way up, hit the down button and it operates like ti should till it reaches the bottom.. now i hit up and it starts to pull the trim up but only makes it to maybe half way before it just stops.. heres the part that gets me.. i carefully remove the motor so as not to disturb the trim.. once i remove the motor i can manually turn the screw for the trim and it returns all the way to the top position and is relative to the gauge.. ive tried this same scenario numerous times.. for some reason the motor can not pull the trim all the way up yet i can manuall with my fingers.. what gives??!!!

thanx that helped eliminate that concern.. ive played with this thing too much and cant figure it out... let me explain...

ive pulled the motor off and it and manually slide the screw back and forth across the limit switches in the black box.. tha gauge reads its position everytime perfectly.. i mount the motor in with the trim set all the way up, hit the down button and it operates like ti should till it reaches the bottom.. now i hit up and it starts to pull the trim up but only makes it to maybe half way before it just stops.. heres the part that gets me.. i carefully remove the motor so as not to disturb the trim.. once i remove the motor i can manually turn the screw for the trim and it returns all the way to the top position and is relative to the gauge.. ive tried this same scenario numerous times.. for some reason the motor can not pull the trim all the way up yet i can manuall with my fingers.. what gives??!!!

The module uses two separate relays for up and down. The motor is bi-directional so you have to reverse polarity to it in order to make it go both directions. One of the relays may be on its way out.

+1
    ah ok .. and i guess from what i have read those two relays are in the black box and u would have to replace the whole thing huh.. son of a goffer puppy, that sucks.. i dont even like this ski that much to buy a new one lol

ah ok .. and i guess from what i have read those two relays are in the black box and u would have to replace the whole thing huh.. son of a goffer puppy, that sucks.. i dont even like this ski that much to buy a new one lol

You don't necessarily have to replace the box if it is indeed a relay going out. Do some searching. A couple of guys here have figured out how to wire in their own relays. It works. I don't think the gauge will work anymore but the trim will go up and down.

+1
    yea i have read of other ways to make it work, but then the gauge doesnt work.. im too ocd to not have the gauge work..

yea i have read of other ways to make it work, but then the gauge doesnt work.. im too ocd to not have the gauge work..

I would think all one would have to do is keep the module powered up after doing the relay bypass . The gauge circuit looks separate to me but I could be wrong. Wouldn't be the first time. lol

Thread Information