Impeller shaft seal

Building a new pump. Manual says," Install seal with the spring toward the outside." When I pulled my impeller off the spring side of seal was towards the inside I'm guessing. It looks nothing like the new one.

Took pics of the new seal and the old one in the housing. Which side of the new seal goes towards the impeller? Does the old seal look like it's aftermarket or an older version? Maybe the original seal? The one in the housing looks nothing like the one I bought today and it was supposed to have been replaced when I purchased ski last summer. Thanks in advance.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0724200145.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	31.9 KB 
ID:	206862Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0724201533.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	53.2 KB 
ID:	206863Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0724200209.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	31.5 KB 
ID:	206864

bump

OEM or aftermarket I always install them with the spring out.

Quote Originally Posted by Kidd800XP View Post
    OEM or aftermarket I always install them with the spring out.
    Thanks for the reply Kidd,
    That is the opinion I'm getting too. The manual says it as well. I figured I was reading it right. Notice the center pic shows it installed wrong? That's how a dealer tech did it. I've been having to dump the pump water (total pun intended) after every ride. People I bought it off of last summer sucked an anchor rope broke the three pump vanes, trashed the WR, and impeller then had it fixed before selling it.

Yeah I seen the pic of the pump. I have seen tech and service managers not smart enough to get out of the rain here at my local stealership.
    I have had a few come to me in backwards so I know how it goes.

2 examples of our local dealership
    I sent a freind of mine to them to have a key programmed for his 2000 gtx he just bought. I had some brand new aftermarket dess keys here and gave him one to have done. They told him the mpem would not accept a aftermarket key and socked a new one on him for 70 smackeroos

2003 gti rfi le with 787. Would not idle over 1100 on tralier out of water and not crank at all in water. They looked at it and said it was low on compression. The guy brought it here for me to look at and run a compression test. Had 140 both cylinders. I took it to another dealer and the ignition timing had been messed with.

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who either replied to my thread or answered emails. Got my pump back together today and installed. It held 10psi solid for 15mins. It even held solid while I turned the impeller a few times. Ended up spending the extra money on all the pump tools from Parker and made my own pressure tester based off of pics I saw of one online. All in all it still was cheaper than having the dealer do it. Battery is charging and am hoping to take it out tomorrow for a ride. I don't want to jinx myself but, I'm figuring I won't be having water in my pump anymore.

Just an update on this. Well after a test ride got it back out and sure enough still had a freakin leak. Did just a visual inspection and found oil leaking from the 1/8 in plug, go figure. Just have not been able to keep from cross threading that dang thing. So today I took one of the cones I had previously cross threaded then drilled and tapped it for a 1/4 pipe plug. I'm going to give this a try cause Im out of ideas other than buying a wet wolf freestyle cone for 50 bucks. Pressure testing again and it's still holding solid at 10psi. just like the last time. I never like the idea of an 1/8 in plug fine thread into plastic. Cheesy in my opinion. Will either test ride later or will have to wait till next weekend. The only other thing I did different was measured out the oil and put what is listed as the capacity for the pump. not to the bottom of fill hole. Keeping my fingers crossed yet again.

I know this is kind of newbie stuff but, hopefully the new people that come on with my problem will find it helpful. Anyway, tapping the fill plug hole 1/8" to 1/4" pipe plug was the ticket. Not sure if this will work on the smaller plastic cone. The 155m pump cone for sure has enough meat to it. Took it out for a couple hours and no longer had anything visible. Pulled it back apart to make sure I didn't have any water none the less. Finally! Now if I can get my boss to give me a couple days off on short notice I'll be taking off for Eastern Oregon.

Thread Information