Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Dead Honda - Not Happy!

Howdy all

I was all packed up and ready to head out skiing this morning (complete with new Solas intake grate, new battery, touched up hull, full service and newly fitted Superjims Alpha kit) when I thought "I`ll just check its firing up" only to find zero signs of life despite running fine a week ago

No "beep beep", no lights on dash, nothing. So, after more than a little swearing, I start with the tools. Battery tests confirm it is fine, and shorting out the starter solenoid manually makes the ski turn over (but not run which I wouldnt expect) I then find/remove the fabled "main relay" part number 38580-HW1-670, its totally sealed so nothing really to check there

I then fit the lanyard (with the main relay still removed) and get "beep beep" and power on dash display however pressing the green start button does nothing so I refit the main relay with the lanyard still in place

With this in place the dash is still powered up so I hit the green start button and the ski fires/runs perfect.

The problem now is that removing the lanyard and/or pressing the red button does not stop the ski, it just keeps running, I have to remove the main relay to stop the ski and then find myself back where I started and have to repeat this procedure to make the ski run

Has anyone else had this problem? I assume it is the main relay and will have to be replaced but is there any tests I can do to confirm? Is it possible to check make brake on the lanyard switch easily

All help/suggestions welcome

Thanks in advance

+1
    90% of the time it is either a blown fuse or the Main Relay. If your has not been changed, then change it before it leaves you stuck. When you put the new one in, cover it with an anti corrosion compound so the water/salt is not absorbed up the wiring into the relay.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by JRINJAX View Post
    90% of the time it is either a blown fuse or the Main Relay. If your has not been changed, then change it before it leaves you stuck. When you put the new one in, cover it with an anti corrosion compound so the water/salt is not absorbed up the wiring into the relay.
    Thanks JR, I am around 90% sure that it is indeed the relay that is to blame

After studying it a little I have figured out that its operation is simple enough, basically two 12V DC single pole relays, one serving the fuel pump (which is obviously fine due to the fact that the ski runs) and the other, I assume, is what lets power through to the general engine electrical system

A question: When the lanyard is removed and the engine stops is that because -
    • the fuel pump relay switches off?
    • the general electrical relay switches off?
    • both relays switch off?

I build Horsepower
    +1
    all of the above plus, switched power to the ECU.

Shawn

+1
    So is it common to have to replace the main relay?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by MRRCGUY View Post
    So is it common to have to replace the main relay?
    Yep, a forum search for "main relay" would definitely give that impression

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by NitroShark View Post
    all of the above plus, switched power to the ECU.

Shawn
    Thanks Shawn

I notice that even when the lanyard is initially removed the display is still being powered and after a minute or so it "goes to sleep" so I assume that there is a permanent supply to this component (not through the main relay) which allows it to work independantly

I am really struggling to source a replacement, "Discounthondaparts.com" are the only company I can find who ship internationally (I assume all the other companies dont due to being ripped off by scammers) and its gonna cost $39.95 to ship an $80 part the size of my fist! Crazy!

And thats if they had it, they emailed today to say its currently on back order for a month at least!

I reckon that with my luck at present if I bought a pet duck it would drown itself

I build Horsepower
    +1
    You could always move to the USA....

The Switched power turns off as soon as the lanyard cord is pulled to kill the ski however, the Main power the the ECU from the dash is still on for a preprogrammed time.

Shawn

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by NitroShark View Post
    You could always move to the USA....

The Switched power turns off as soon as the lanyard cord is pulled to kill the ski however, the Main power the the ECU from the dash is still on for a preprogrammed time.

Shawn
    I have considered that remedy believe it or not........

You`ve just confirmed what I suspected, the switched power must also tell the ECU to "wake up" when the lanyard is inserted (even though it has its own permanent supply)

I`m just trying to get my head round how it all works before I attempt a temporary fix with two 12V DC relays (because I cant get the genuine Honda part for a month plus)

I`m gonna cut off the original relay and solder extra wire onto the original wires + plug to extend them so I can locate the temporary relays somewhere high up/dry

+1
    Have you tried to order from Honda of East Toledo? They might have it and will ship it to you. I order from them all of the time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information