Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Throttle Return Spring Issue and Trim Issue

The good news is that my 95 SL750 was on the water and running! The triple pump is working great.

Bad news #1 is that my power trim doesn't work. I haven't dug into it yet, all the wires are in place and connected. I will get the meter on it soon, but if anyone has any thoughts, let me know.

Bad news #2 concerns the throttle return. It will not return without a really heavy-duty spring. So strong in fact, that I can barely squeeze the throttle. I need to lighten the spring, and the only way to do that is loosen up the throttle linkage somehow. The bar that opens the throttle is very hard to rotate. I have cleaned and lubed everything, but it is still stiff as heck. Anyone have any thoughts on that?

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    It's not uncommon for the trim motor itself to get rusted and prevent it from turning. Try removing it from the ski and see if you can break the rust free. Often they can be saved by doing this.

I don't know what to make of the stiff throttle plates. Something is bent or binding it seems.

If you can't fix the linkage problem, I'd start looking for another set of carbs. They're plentiful and pretty reasonabley priced.

Banned User
    +1
    I would disconnect the cable from the carbs and see if they move freely. If they do, then check the cable, it may be rusted or kinked. Or the throttle lever could be damaged.

The lever and cable are good, the shaft is tough to turn manually. It's like the springs on there are too tight or stuck or something. I think I will de breaking the whole thing down and diagnosing step by step. Anyone have an exploded diagram of the carbs on a '95 SL 750?

+1

Good luck with that.

I'm afraid that is exactly what I am looking at. Once the carbs were apart, I determined that the shaft on the #1 carb (closest to the front) was really stiff. There are tool marks on the shaft, indicating that it was out in the past at some point. I will open up the steel bearing inside the carb housing a bit until it opens and closes freely. If not, I will look for someone parting out a Fuji motor.

The trim I am still stuck on, it seems that he battery is not re-charging, the MFD is dead, and the trim is dead...but I can't find any cause. Hmmmmm.

+1
    Try replacing the voltage regulator.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Dead MFD - as in blank, no display at all?

That is often just the fuse. Replace with another 1/4 Amp fuse, inside the electrical box.

Battery not charging - LR voltage regulator module is the likely culprit. Unplug and ohm check the Yellow to Red/Purple stator wires. If stator is in spec, then replace the LR module.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by pinchvalve View Post
    I'm afraid that is exactly what I am looking at. Once the carbs were apart, I determined that the shaft on the #1 carb (closest to the front) was really stiff. There are tool marks on the shaft, indicating that it was out in the past at some point.
    I will open up the steel bearing inside the carb housing a bit until it opens and closes freely.

If not, I will look for someone parting out a Fuji motor.

Do not grind away on the carb,it will cause an air leak-and bad stuff.

Smooth out the shaft if the carb surface is not chewed up ,if not get a set of carbs from E-bay, I've seen a few start at $0.99

Thanks! I smoothed out the shaft and added some lube to the little plastic inserts inside the carb, and it rotates as free as a bird now. I will keep my eye on e-bay for another set because this one works, but looks like someone fixed it with a hammer in the past.

As for the other issue, I worked and worked and found out the problem is related to the Voltage Regulator. (Yeah, should have checked back on this thread first!) I found out that the orange wire has no voltage coming out of the regulator. (The red does however). If I bypass it, the motor works fine. I have also been having issues with the battery recharging, so it looks like that may be a culprit. I will grab a replacement and see what happens. Any good sources? Would that have an effect on the MFD as well? What is I just bypass it and forget about it?

I also checked the fuse. It was not blown. HOWEVER, I also checked it with a continuity tester and a fuse tester. Despite looking OK, it was not transferring current across! So the lesson here is to do more than check the fuse, CHECK the fuse man!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information