Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thanks to K447 and everybody else!!! Now, help with porpoiseing1

I want to thank everybody that helped me get my buddys 99 SLX up and running again with the ignition upgrade kit etc. It had been sitting for about 3 years and been to several mechanics none of which could fix it, and I could not have fixed it if it wasn't for all the fantastic help from K447 and everybody else. Just the grin on my buddys face and the joy his wife showed made all the work worthwhile. Thanks Again to Everybody!!!!

Now, is there any kind of fix for all the porpoising it now does at top speed? The pump was not sealed up when I took it apart so I sealed it up. Don't know if that has anything to do with it or not but it's the only thing that I did on reassembly that was different.
    Any thoughts?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Glad to hear it is running well

The biggest improvement regarding porpoising at speed is to install a longer ride plate. Does this SLX already have the extended jet pump and extended ride plate?

If it does, then the only improvement would be to install an Ocean Pro 'O' ride plate.

Is the electric Quick Trim working?
    If yes, then trimming the bow DOWN should reduce porpoising.

How much weight is it carrying?
    1 or 2 people?

Thanks for the reply K. I don't know if the ski has any of those things you asked about. I do know that the electric trim is working. How do I find out about the extended ride plate or extended jet pump. Also, where do you find this Ocean Pro ride plate? Thanks again?

+1
    Item 8 in the diagram is the pump extension ring (5131196), which was stock on the 1999 SLX.

And item 10 is the extended ride plate 5630737.

Ocean Pro has an eBay store, where you can purchase the ride plate new. Used ride plates are sometimes available, but you need to make sure it is the correct version.

+1
    The 99 does have the extended pump and ride plate.
    I hope to try changing the sponsons to see if it helps any. I'll let you now .

As far as weight I was the only one riding it, and when he rides it I'm pretty sure he only rides by himself. I weigh in at about 200 lbs, I think he weighs a little less. If this ski already has the extended ride plate and pump from the factory is it a reasonable assumption that this ski will never be a comfortable sit down ski at WOT?

+1
    No, Mine is usually fine, I'm about 220lbs. Weight and it's position does affect it's ride. wedge will change it's ride, as will the slightly longer ride plate.Than there is the intake grate and jet pump that affect how much of the hull is in the water.

I had a SL 700 gain speed /riding angle with aftermarket sponsons,so I thought I would try them on this hull and it will also turn faster-so nothing to loose.

wouldnt trim tabs be another option ?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Fandini View Post
    ...is it a reasonable assumption that this ski will never be a comfortable sit down ski at WOT?
    What kinds of water are you riding in? Smooth river and lakes, 1-2 foot chop, or bigger waves?

An aftermarket scoop style intake grate will help, more in the rough water than the smooth.

The SL/SLX 2 seater hull will never be a "sit down and ride smooth" type of ski. It jumps and bounces all over in stock form, which can be improved upon with aftermarket add-ons, but will slow the ski down to varying degrees. It will never ride like your GPR. They're fun skis, they just aren't "smooth cruisers".

Also, it should have a 4* black plastic wedge in the pump. If its a bare aluminum one, it's very possible its a 6*, and will make the porpoising worse.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information