Q's re: 1996 SL 700

Hey all,

Great forum you got here! I've already spent hours reading and barely touched the surface. I'm picking up a 1996 sl700 tomorrow and though I didn't see it in water, it seems to start up quick and run smooth. I got a couple questions though.

1) The gas gauge doesn't work. I read here that there's a float part for the gas tank that can be replaced, but can't find it in any of the online schematics. Does someone have the part # for this year/model and where I can get it? I've checked watcon and didn't find it.

2) The handlebar grips are worn and sticky like. I found replacements, but an online service manual (that I found here) mentions that they are molded on and can only be replaced with the handlebar. Is this true? I did find black ones in the schematics, but I'd like to go with more of the original blue.

3) The mats need replacement. I found some hydro something mats online. Are these good?

I've never put anything in the water and wondered if there's any tricks to doing it. I didn't see any ropes on it, so can only imagine if I'm going out myself, I need some to tie to dock so I can park vehicle and it won't float away. Any other hints, tricks, suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

The links in my signature will provide answers to many of your questions.

If you are new to PWC riding, and boating, then the best advice I can give you is to find some experienced riders, and ride with them. The buddy system is a VERY good thing.

Until you have taken the time to review, repair, clean, and check everything, do not go riding by yourself. The only thing that will make your fourteen year old machine reliable is the time you spend to make it reliable. This is true of any used PWC, from any brand.

Develop your PWC experience and knowledge before riding solo.

Across the Greenhulk forums you can find much useful info regarding launch ramp etiquette, recommended equipment to carry, and many other things. But the best approach is to find some other good riders, and learn from them.

Have a look in the Local Rides forums on GH; see if you can connect with some good local people. Except for the technical aspects, it doesn't matter what brand or age PWC they ride. Best PWC practices are the same.

+1
    welcome to Green Hulk !

Float =2872860 . Test it, they do go bad. On the 96 with the round fuel guage there are a couple other things that can go wrong.

Any grip that fits a 7/8 bar will work.Some grips have a large "flange on the inner edge that will interfere with the throttle lever. Your 96 grips are not moulded onto the bars.

Yes ,'Hydro-turf" is a good brand and work well. 96 and 97 are pretty much the same, except the 96 has a "tie-down" grommet/eye at the very rear. The mat may need that cut out to fit.

Thanks for the replies and suggestions.

K447 I've looked at several of your links, very helpful. I'm going out with a friend after I picked it up for a short ride on a lake. I've ordered some accesories, like tie off ropes, so I should have those before my next outing. Nobody I know has a pwc, but I'm hoping to meet some folks that I can join, or maybe this will give my friends a kick in the rear to buy one My biggest fear is pulling out of the water and losing traction. I have a Tribute I'll use to pull this. While I've read that a MINI can pull with a class I hitch, I'm afraid the manual transmission might make steep grades troublesome. I read somewhere about angling the trailer instead of pulling out straight, though not sure how this is done. Turn either L/R at the last minute when backing up?

Casey67, thanks for the part #. I'll search around to see where I can get it. What other possible things can go wrong with the round fuel gauge? Is the float the first step I should take? I read a thread about the testing, but can't remember what it said. Have to hunt that down again. Hate to buy and replace parts I don't need to.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by eilatan View Post
    ...I'm going out with a friend after I picked it up for a short ride on a lake. I've ordered some accessories, like tie off ropes, so I should have those before my next outing...
    Here is the hard part - If you ride it before going through the recommended maintenance, you run the risk of damaging the engine and/or jet pump.

These high-output 2-stroke engines do not tolerate problems with the fuel system or carburetors. It is a common story here when a new member joins. Their first post goes something like this;

'Bought a used PWC. Took it to the water. Rode it for a few minutes or hours. Suddenly the engine power was greatly reduced. Found a hole through one of the pistons. What happened?...'

What happened is that the carburetors were clogging up internally. The old fuel hoses degrade, dirt and gunk accumulates inside the carbs. The carbs are delivering less fuel than they should.

The engine may still run fairly well, but it is running very lean (too little fuel for the air flow through the engine). Lean burn creates excess combustion heat. The piston top literally melts, and a crater and hole develops. As soon as the hole melts completely through, that cylinder fails to provide power, and the engine is broken.

Lean burn can happen in minutes.

The safe approach is to take the PWC straight home. Do all the recommended maintenance, including replacing all the old fuel hoses. Remove the carburetors, and rebuild them.

Remove the jet pump. Check the bearings. I suggest replacing the seals in the through-hull bearing while the drive shaft is out.

Really check everything else over.

If the fuel is old, drain it out. Replace the fuel and oil filters.

If you ride without first doing the maintenance, you are simply gambling. You may get lucky, and ride with no troubles. Or not.

Thread Information