Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

1200 GPR starting problems.

Hi all. I took my ski out this afternoon. I knew the battery was weak but there isn't any place to buy a new battery on Sunday. I jumped the ski and took it out on the water. It ran fine, but when my wife took it out it died on her and she had to get towed back in...

I borrowed a good battery from a buddy of mine and put it in but it wouldn't crank it, just a clicking noise. I put the cables on it, and same thing. It acts like it's locked up but I can't imagine that anything happened to it. All the oil lines are on, my connections to the battery are clean and tight???

Any help would be appreciated!!

+1
    check the terminals on the starter,ground/power to start with. Whats the voltage on the battery?

I didn't have a volt meter with me at the lake to check the voltage. With it being jumped you would have thought that the truck voltage would be sufficient to crank it over??

I checked the best I could at the lake on the starter terminal. It appeared to be tight.

I'm really starting to get disgruntled with watercraft toys... I purchased this ski used last year with 42 hours on it, it was an 02 1200GPR and I have had it on the water twice since then...first the carbs were junk, now the starting problems. Should have just spent the money on a new one with a warranty. lol

+1
    last time that happened to me the battery had good voltage but the cranking amps was way down adn wouldnt turn it over just like a dead battery.

Put a new battery in, still no start, just the click. I pulled the starter and jumped it across the terminals...spun like a top. Any other ideas as to what it might be? I pulled my electrical box off and opened it up. The solenoid is clicking when I hit the start button but all the starter does is click. I took the plugs out and turned the shaft so I no it's not locked up.

Can the starter bendix be locked up causing it to just click instead of turning over? The starter worked like a charm when I pulled it and bench tested it but acts like the motor is locked up when I installed it back in the ski. Any help would sure be appreciated!!

first question, when you say jumped, you dont mean you hooked the vehicle directly to the ski do you?
    second, i would check the integrity of the starter cable. if it spins outta the ski, it should spin in the ski. assuming nothing got burned/fried from the vehicle jump.

uh...yeah. I jumped it from the truck to the ski. Is there a reason I shouldn't have done that? I will check the cable tomorrow and see if that is the problem.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information